Feb 20, 2013, 1:12 AM EDT
Courtesy Sports Illustrated
VIERA, Fla. — How big have Bryce Harper and the Nationals become around baseball? Big enough to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's spring training preview issue.
Harper graces the cover of this week's magazine, standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial holding a bat behind his shoulders, the Washington Monument and U.S. Capitol dome in the background. The headline for Tom Verducci's cover story reads: "What does Bryce Harper have in mind for his encore? Some seriously monumental numbers."
The photo was taken early in the morning on January 27, while Harper was in town for that afternoon's NatsFest at the Washington Convention Center. With temperatures in the 20s, the young outfielder had to bundle up between takes, ultimately appearing in full uniform without any long sleeves underneath.
It's only the second time a member of the Nationals has beenRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured