Feb 20, 2013, 1:12 AM EDT
Courtesy Sports Illustrated
VIERA, Fla. — How big have Bryce Harper and the Nationals become around baseball? Big enough to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's spring training preview issue.
Harper graces the cover of this week's magazine, standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial holding a bat behind his shoulders, the Washington Monument and U.S. Capitol dome in the background. The headline for Tom Verducci's cover story reads: "What does Bryce Harper have in mind for his encore? Some seriously monumental numbers."
The photo was taken early in the morning on January 27, while Harper was in town for that afternoon's NatsFest at the Washington Convention Center. With temperatures in the 20s, the young outfielder had to bundle up between takes, ultimately appearing in full uniform without any long sleeves underneath.
It's only the second time a member of the Nationals has beenRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game