Feb 20, 2013, 1:12 AM EST
Courtesy Sports Illustrated
VIERA, Fla. — How big have Bryce Harper and the Nationals become around baseball? Big enough to grace the cover of Sports Illustrated's spring training preview issue.
Harper graces the cover of this week's magazine, standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial holding a bat behind his shoulders, the Washington Monument and U.S. Capitol dome in the background. The headline for Tom Verducci's cover story reads: "What does Bryce Harper have in mind for his encore? Some seriously monumental numbers."
The photo was taken early in the morning on January 27, while Harper was in town for that afternoon's NatsFest at the Washington Convention Center. With temperatures in the 20s, the young outfielder had to bundle up between takes, ultimately appearing in full uniform without any long sleeves underneath.
It's only the second time a member of the Nationals has beenRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?