Feb 20, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Gio Gonzalez denied ever taking any PEDs when he reported to camp last week.
VIERA, Fla. — A new investigative report into the Miami clinic charged with supplying performance enhancing drugs to major leaguers says Gio Gonzalez received only legal substances, further suggesting the Nationals left-hander won’t face any discipline from MLB.
ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” reported tonight at least 25 players received PEDs from Biogenesis, but Gonzalez was not one of them.
Gonzalez did receive $1,000 worth of substances, but those listed are not banned by MLB: glutathione (an anti-oxidant) and intramuscular shots of methionine, inositol and choline. Those shots are often used for weight loss, which could suggest they were for Gonzalez’s father, Max, who has admitted being a client of Biogenesis chief Anthony Bosch’s weight-loss clinic.
Gonzalez is the only player who has been tied to Biogenesis so far who did not receive PEDs, two independent sources told ESPN.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season