Feb 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Principal owner Mark Lerner arrived in Viera today.
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals have sold nearly 20,000 season tickets for the upcoming season, a significant increase from one year ago, principal owner Mark Lerner said today.
Making his first appearance of the spring in Viera, Lerner said the team is “very close” to reaching its self-imposed cap of 20,000 season ticket equivalents, which is roughly comparable to the ticket base in 2008 (the club’s first season at Nationals Park).
“It’s pretty exciting that we’ll have a chance to get there,” he said. “It’s been a terrific offseason. I think NatsFest helped fuel that, and obviously the great year we had last year. But we’re really pleased how things are going. … All I can do is compare it to last year, really, and it’s a significant increase over last year.”
The Nationals never revealed exact season-ticket numbers last season, but the base was believed to be about 14,000. It was about 20,000 in the first season at the new ballpark, still below the club’s highest level (22,000 during the inaugural 2005 campaign at RFK
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen