Feb 21, 2013, 10:33 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Chris Young is 53-43 with a 3.79 ERA in 159 career starts.
VIERA, Fla. — In their ongoing quest to add more pitching depth, the Nationals have signed veteran right-hander Chris Young to a minor-league contract.
Young, 33, will report to big-league camp and should have a chance to pitch in Grapefruit League games, but is almost certainly headed to the Opening Day rotation at Class AAA Syracuse.
A former All-Star with the Padres, Young’s career has been saddled in recent years by shoulder injuries. He appeared in only eight total games between 2010-11 but bounced back last year to make 20 starts for the Mets, going 4-9 with a 4.15 ERA.
The towering, 6-foot-10 Young remains a sinkerball specialist and saw his velocity creep back into the high 80s late last season in New York.
Overall, Young owns a 53-43 record and 3.79 ERA in 159 career starts with the Rangers, Padres and Mets.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)