Amped-up Haren working out kinks

Feb 22, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Dan Haren was a bit too amped up while facing live hitters yesterday.

VIERA, Fla. — Good morning from Space Coast Stadium, where today the Nationals conduct their final workout before officially taking the field tomorrow for their Grapefruit League opener against the Mets. Davey Johnson has a low-key session planning for this morning, with only a few defensive drills and then batting practice inside the stadium.

Before we get to that, though, one more item from yesterday's workout…

The most notable live BP session involved Dan Haren, who upon taking the mound for the first time with his new club in that setting was perhaps a bit too amped up. The veteran right-hander was a bit off early on, needed to work a bit more to get on the same page with catcher Wilson Ramos and afterward had a long conversation with Johnson.

You'd think a 32-year-old former All-Star who has pitched onRead more ยป

1. MicheleS - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Ghost/Jack.. I think you will like this… Notice the picture of JZ and Haren.Spring Training Photos from WaPo

2. SonnyG10 - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Thanks for the link, Michele. Good collection of pictures.

3. Candide - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The manager's message: "I told him, 'Take it easy. You don't have to impress anyone.'"Haren's response: "Easier said than done when you're watching and the owner's watching and the GM's watching."Haren's wrong. It's very easy to not impress anyone. Non-roster invitees do it all the time. I bet even I could do it.

4. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Thanks for sharing, Michele. I liked pic #17, with the KFOF (Kid Face of the Franchise) front and center. :-)

5. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Put up a new post, a primer on prospects. Would appreciate any comments, questions or stuff I left out. It's intended for "bandwagon" Nats fans–not intended to replace the website Nationals Prospects where they do a great job. Also to answer basic questions about how prospects are rated and ranks, with lots of links.http://ladyandthenats.blogspot.com/

6. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

7. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Oh, and the Tigers vs. Atlanta will be on MLB Network at 1:05. First chance to look at NL East rivals and a potential post-season opponent (we hope!). Also my first chance to test if the new MLB.tv app is working….

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Michele, nice link and photos! I also had a head scratcher moment on Mark's and other comments on Twitter yesterday on Haren. @ZuckermanCSN: Long conversation between Davey and Haren following live BP session. Didn't seem as sharp as some other guys yesterday.Was Haren sharp or was it that he was amp'd up and was Davey's long conversation just to calm him down?Everything I have read after the BP session was that he was sharp and if anything was just over-throwing instead of under-throwing. I was happy to get NatsJack's opinion. All sounds good with Haren!

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Sect222, I saw you are still posting on Mark Lerner self-promoting the season tickets.You do know that the Lerners first taste of ownership was as an initial owner of the Capitals in the Leonsis group.Much of the Lerners training as owners was observing Leonsis. There is no owner in all of sports that does more self-promoting than Leonsis. Teddy exceeds Mark Cuban and Jerry Jones in face time now that he has his floor seats for the Wizards.I like my owners rarely seen and only heard when they are hoisting up a Championship trophy.Nobody replaced StanK who was the team Prez and an owner and served as the team's mouthpiece and self-promoter. Feffer just doesn't get out there with the media like StanK did which is why I think Mark Lerner has in a small way taken over that role. By the way, the sales ploy in Sales101 is called creating urgency through scarcity, and yes, the Capitals did it and then added standing room assigned spots like #'d parking spaces to further maximize profits.

10. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Strange, my last post disappeared.Anyway, thanks Michele for the photo link!

11. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM

@ZuckermanCSN: Chris Young is here today getting physical, will throw bullpen. Rizzo said he has an out clause if doesn't make teamRight now, the only way Chris Young makes this team is if there is an injury.I do think that Young could be the 6th starter now on the depth chart in front of some of the other AAAA guys the team signed.

12. Steady Eddie - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

From Mark's latest tweet:Chris Young is here today getting physical, will throw bullpen. Rizzo said he has an out clause if doesn't make team.I did find it kind of surprising that Young would accept pitching at AAA Syracuse when he could probably compete for and make another MLB team's rotation. Guess he figures that it's worth the very small possibility of an unexpected need in the Nats' rotation, and showcasing himself to other teams, than being at ST with a team on which he has a chance to compete himself onto the 25-man, which he doesn't with the Nats.Also an interesting reflection that with ST being an active trading season with unexpected needs popping up and everyone actively scouting everyone else. that he can showcase himself more widely — and be of wider interest to multiple teams — being on a ST roster of a team that he doesn't have a chance to get on by competition than on one where he does. On the latter, other potentially interested teams would think, "why bother, if he's any good they'll just keep him."

13. NatsNut - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I think this one is my favorite so far.

14. horsey - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

If Mark Lerner is "self promoting" by mentioning the season ticket sales, price increase, etc, then he needs to ramp it up a notch or two. Let's see, it was mentioned last September in an email and then again yesterday while Lerner was sitting on a golf cart with Rizzo. Ghost of Steve M. does more self-promoting than that in just one sentence!

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Steady, with Young's out-clause its the best of all worlds for him. He now has a team and can audition on the Nats dime and will opt-out if he thinks he has a better deal.

16. sm13 - Feb 22, 2013 at 3:58 PM

So Haren has $13 million in his pocket and a guaranteed spot in the best rotation in baseball, yet he's still nervous? I love this guy!

17. NatsNut - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Hey Mark, I'm curious to know how the other bullpen guys are looking, i.e., Stammen, Mattheus, Duke, etc.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

sm13, good point. It's more than the money for him. He said earlier that he sees himself as a pitcher who can start for at least 5 more years.His best quote was when it was mentioned to him about the rumors of Lohse signing with the Nats that if I can paraphrase "I don't want to move to the bullpen to make room for Lohse".

19. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

horsey said… Ghost of Steve M. does more self-promoting than that in just one sentence! February 22, 2013 10:50 AM I don't have a Blog, a column, a website, a product, or anything to sell.I am a Washington DC sports fan first and foremost.You've made it abundantly clear in your numerous posts that you don't like me and the feeling is mutual as you are a rude person. You never post anything of substance, you only come on here to blast me. Others have suggested that you just read past my posts but you won't do that. I don't know what to tell you except to email Mark at his link above and complain to him.

20. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I see from Twitter Mark Lerner is shagging flies in full Nats uniform. This makes me smile…

21. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Mark Lerner back to shagging BP and Ryan Zimmerman smacking the ball in BP!

22. Steady Eddie - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Steve M. — agree with your 10:53. Young gets to show himself to any potentially interested team because no one expects he will end up on the Nats 25-man unless there's an unexpected rotation problem in ST. Young's being with us in ST is thus mostly insurance for the Nats, which is the low-cost, no-risk value we get in exchange for him "auditioning on the Nats' dime," as you put it. Works pretty well for both sides.

23. Section 222 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I don't really think of the Lerners as self promoters. Remember, Mark is the guy who got conked on the noggin while shagging flies with the team. He is never going to be "cool" like Mark Cuban or even Leonsis, and he knows it. But who needs to be cool when you're a billionaire and own a World Series favorite baseball team?I do think that his email last year and this latest "get your season tickets now" plug were dumb and embarrassing. Not to mention misleading, unless they are truly going to stop selling STs when they get to 20K and announce that to the world when they've done it instead of just beforehand as part of a pitch to get people to buy. But I've gone on way too long about that. Steady, good point about Young. And who knows, maybe in the end he'll accept an assignment to Syracuse to be the designated John Lannan this year. He seems much more likely to do that than Javier Vazquez is. I like the guy. There's something kind of cool about a 6'10" finesse pitcher. Finally, on Haren, I'm just tickled that he's on our team. How great to have a No. 4 or 5 starter who everyone on the staff looks up to. I liked E-Jax too, but he doesn't have the same street-cred that Haren does.Ghost, don't complain about Horsey, just ignore him. That's what most of us are doing. And by the way, I'd bet anything that Horsey is the alter ego of someone else who posts here regularly but don't have the guts to criticize you under his normal commenting name. For shame.

24. sjm308 - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Sect222, I don't think Mark Lerner can ever live down the ball to the face. Maybe he's wearing the Rip Hamilton/Kobe style plastic face for protection.I'm hoping someone has some photos!

26. Faraz Shaikh - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

GoSM, ignore feature would have been nice for some of us here but like sjm308, you have another fan in a certain way.

27. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM

sjm308 said… Ghost: you don't need my help with anything but let Horsey dislike you, just don't respond in kind. You actually stay above the fray by enjoying the fact that someone actually reads pretty much everything you write and then responds. Instead of disliking him, enjoy him.If you think about it, it is actually funny that one adult would spend that much time and energy criticising another. Just my thoughts. February 22, 2013 11:32 AM You're absolutely right. I'm also fairly certain that Horsey also posts here under another name.

28. MicheleS - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Love the reports for Ryan smoking the ball… (stay healthy please!!!!)NatsNut.. that Desi Stache is hilarious.

29. Dryw Loves the Nats - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Hey, could someone remind me which ST games MASN is airing? Thanks!!

30. Gonat - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:54 PM

MicheleS, this could be a MVP season for RZim with that "stay healthy please"

31. Gonat - Feb 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

32. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I believe that Cuban and Leonsis are also billionaires, but I don't hold it against any of them. ;-)Section 222 said… I don't really think of the Lerners as self promoters. Remember, Mark is the guy who got conked on the noggin while shagging flies with the team. He is never going to be "cool" like Mark Cuban or even Leonsis, and he knows it. But who needs to be cool when you're a billionaire and own a World Series favorite baseball team?

33. Dryw Loves the Nats - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Thanks for the link MicheleS!

34. Mac - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Why do they need to announce that they have reached their 20,000 limit? They could just quit advertising season tickets. It's kind of like they already have. Lerner's offhand comment to reporters yesterday was the first word I've heard about season tickets since the end of Game 5. Literally.

35. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Gonat said… SteveM, that's great as Faraz says that you have a Fans. I think it is a compliment to you. Maybe Mark Zuckerman can trade you to Amanda Comak as she needs commentors. It's shocking how her site gets no action given how good she is. February 22, 2013 11:59 AM That's funny. Amanda does a great job but I don't know what to tell her on getting more traffic on her site.

36. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Mark posted up the starting lineup for tomorrow's game and it will be most exciting for me to see Deuce in Centerfield!

37. MicheleS - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Ghost/Gonat. A Lot of people don't want to comment on either the Times or the WaPo sight. If i remember correctly, you have to give email address to get signed up. Who wants more email?

38. Anna Peregrina - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Natslady, the links on your blog were useful to me. Is there a way to "follow" your blog?

39. Mac - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:23 PM

In particular, who wants to give their email to that right wing Moonie paper, where they'll still have it even after they lay off their sports dept again?

40. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Anna, I don't know how you read it, but I tell you what I do. If you go to the top of this site there is a link to "dashboard." On dashboard you can subscribe to a "reading list" of any blog you want (including mine). When I have time, I just check my reading list and have at it. Just put the URLs into the list where it says "ADD." Hope this helps.

41. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:27 PM

42. Section 222 - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Offhand comment? Yeah right. He turned a question about ticket sales into a pitch for season tickets complete with the "act now or you'll be out of luck" stuff. But you're right, they don't need to announce it. We'll just check the website after March 31, and see what they say about STs. Right now it says (as did Lerner) that the prices will go up on April 1. If they're still available at new prices, we'll know that they either haven't made it to 20,000 or the limit was baloney. And one of our intrepid beat reporters can find out which. I just seriously doubt the website will ever say, "Sorry, we reached our limit of STs, so you have to buy single game tix."

43. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Michele, I guess I still belong to WaPo but I don't post there because it doesn't seem right to post the same thing on other sites.Same reason I don't post on Twitter as I would say the same as I would do here.Kilgore has actually stepped up his game as I have read most of his posts as well as James Wagner and I read Amanda's posts and she has been consistently good in a short-time here.If I were them, I would take a different angle to stay different as most of the "beats" are writing similar posts. Take an angle where you are covering the team through eyes of others by getting comments from the opposition.With the media credentials, any of the beat reporters can sit in on the other manager's press conferences and get the other players comments.I would rather read what Freddi has to say about the Nats written by Amanda instead of written by Dave O'Brien.Some of the best quotes I get on the Nats come from the other Manager and other players. We may not always like it (Cardinals Game 5) but it gives you some good insight sometimes how the other team saw it.

44. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I did sign up just to comment on Amanda's stories, and now I get email from Rand Paul and others of his ilk. Just saying.I know the *real* reason Chris Young signed here: so he can show his jersey to his grandkids someday. "You played for the 2013 Nats?!!! Cool!"

45. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Ghost, agree. That's why I have a lot of non-Nats blogs in my "reading list." However, I do cross-post. The community on WaPo has gotten a lot better recently, and it's (mostly) different people than here–often with good insight, such as the comment I picked up about "Gladiator" and the possibility that's a nickname for Gio's father (Max) rather than Gio. I've posted occasionally on Amanda's site. I get hundreds of junk mail posts every day in my "spam" box–what's a few more?

46. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM

NatsLady, have you emailed Mark to add you to his BlogRoll?

47. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Sec. 3, My Sofa said… I know the *real* reason Chris Young signed here: so he can show his jersey to his grandkids someday. "You played for the 2013 Nats?!!! Cool!" February 22, 2013 12:39 PM That is a great line!

48. BigCat - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Ghost…..i am not Horsey. I find your comments to be very knowledgable……just sayin.

49. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM

50. Mac - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM

"If they're still available at new prices, we'll know that they either haven't made it to 20,000 or the limit was baloney."I'm unclear as to why this even matters. Are they not supposed to market season tickets?

51. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 5:49 PM

ooops, correction, the Atlanta-Detroit game will be on audio and GameDay only. I don't know why I thought there would be video. Oh, well.http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp?c_id=mlb#date=2/22/2013MLB mediaThe first televised game will be us against the Mets, tomorrow. Here is a really funny tweet about the Mets.Andy Martino @MartinoNYDNYou can watch this intrasquad game for six bucks. That's a bargain; it's usually much more expensive to watch the Mets beat themselves.

52. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Big Cat, thanks and I didn't think it was you even though you have an animal type name also.

53. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Had you tried emailing Mark directly? I would think that would be more efficient than posting a request in a comment here.NatsLady said… Also, I'm hoping when Mark gets time he'll put my blog on the list to the left and then I won't have to do so much self-promoting. :) I don't have any adverts or anything to make money, but it tickles me no end to see readers and especially comments or questions. February 22, 2013 12:27 PM

54. Steady Eddie - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

NL — if that tweet was from today, he got that line most directly from MLB.TV last night, where they said the exact same thing (minus the ticket price angle) about an Astros intrasquad game yesterday.Of course, whoever the MLB.TV announcer was, I'm sure he got it from a long line of ST cliches.

55. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Oh, dear. Now I owe Ghost a drink as well. :-)Ghost Of Steve M. said… NatsLady, have you emailed Mark to add you to his BlogRoll? February 22, 2013 12:41 PM

56. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:05 PM

1a, I tweeted Mark when I first started up the blog. I was kinda thinking he was busy w/ spring training and didn't want to be a pest. An email is a good idea, thanks.

57. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM

You're welcome, NL, although Ghost beat me to it.

58. MicheleS - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Per Mark's tweets Gio's test from 2 days after the story broke were clean (in case you are reading the twitter feed)

59. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Michele, good confirm! Wooohooo

60. UnkyD - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Ghost: I'm right there with those who encourage you to ignore the horsey. I think he has mistaken you for someone who cheated him at marbles, in the forth grade. Your friends here don't pay any attention to him, and neither should you.

61. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Niiice.

62. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM

(btw, that was for the Gio news. I was slow on the input because my cat wanted sit on the keyboard.)

63. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM

For those mentioning Spam when signing up for sites, I hadn't thought of that as I usually have tech savvy friends sign me up as I can never seem to do it correctly. Now I feel bad as they are probably getting Spammed.

64. Ghost Of Steve M. - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Unky D from upper Potomac River, thank you my friend.

65. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:25 PM

fwiw, some use separate email addies for e-commerce, sign-ins, and so forth in order to help sort out spam. I tend to post here only but it's because I find other interfaces cumbersome rather than because of spam. Heck, professional organizations and lists to which I belong are responsible for a fair amount of the spam I get.

66. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM

1a, mine too. And be careful if you contribute to a charity or a political campaign. They sell their lists and they NEVER stop no matter how long ago or how tiny was the contribution.

67. NatsLady - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Both Atlanta and Detroit have a lot of regulars in the line-up. More than Davey plans for our first game.

68. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

NL, true that, although we do vet charities before donating to them. Professional organizations sell mailing lists, too, though I've found that it's possible to opt out. Back on topic, we get Nats baseball on tv tomorrow. Yay!

69. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Oh, and since Haren is working out the Kinks, here's some workout music.

70. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I didn't post a link when I read this the other day, but somebody might want to apologize the next time he sees Gio. Maybe a few somebodies.

71. Scooter - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Fine, I'll tell him I'm sorry.Sheesh, Ma.

72. natsfan1a - Feb 22, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Thank you, Scooter. I'll get the cookies and milk ready now.

73. Scooter - Feb 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM