Feb 22, 2013, 6:44 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — Gio Gonzalez was informed today he passed drug tests taken two days after the Nationals left-hander was initially linked to a Miami clinic under investigation for providing ballplayers with performance enhancing drugs.
Gonzalez, who has maintained his innocence all along, revealed he gave both blood and urine samples on Jan. 31 at the request of Major League Baseball (which has the right to test any player for whom there is “reasonable cause” to suspect PED use). The players association today informed him those tests came back negative.
“Like I said before, I’ve never taken performance-enhancing drugs and I never will,” Gonzalez said in a brief statement today at Space Coast Stadium. “Two days after the story broke, I was tested for blood and urine, and both came out negative, like I expected. Throughout my entire career, it’s been like that. I look forward to handling this with MLB, putting this behind me and looking forward to the season.”
Though this doesn’t officially close the book on Gonzalez’s potential link to the Biogenesis clinic at the center of MLB’s investigation, it does move the Cy Young Award finalist one step closer to putting
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable
- Zimmermann throws three scoreless in Nats' 3-2 loss
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again