Feb 22, 2013, 9:48 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Chris Young is 53-43 with a 3.79 ERA in 159 career starts.
VIERA, Fla. — For months, there has been concern within the Nationals organization about the lack of viable pitching depth should one of their five starters succumb to injury.
If Chris Young is finally healthy after a long battle with shoulder trouble — and if he’s willing to report to Class AAA when camp breaks in a month — the Nationals might just have their much-needed No. 6 starter.
“As far as I’m concerned, he steps into that role,” manager Davey Johnson said. “If anything happens to any of my starters, he’d be right at the top of the list.”
Young, who agreed to a minor-league contract yesterday, arrived at Nationals camp today. The 33-year-old right-hander took a physical and was scheduled to throw a bullpen session in front of team officials, then officially join the club for the remainder of the spring.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day