Feb 23, 2013, 4:24 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Drew Storen had back spasms during the playoffs, according to CBSsports.com.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — If Drew Storen was dealing with “unbearable” back pain during the ninth inning of Game 5 of the National League Division Series last fall, his manager certainly wasn’t aware of it.
“The only thing I recall is he didn’t throw many strikes,” Davey Johnson said today. “And I attributed it to him trying to be too fine. Gio [Gonzalez] had the same problem, was trying to be too fine, wasn’t very pitch efficient. But I’m sure that’s not the first time he’s dealt with back spasms. I’m not worried about it. He’s a great young pitcher.”
The possibility of Storen being hampered by back spasms was raised last night in a report by CBSsports.com, which attributed the information to Jayson Werth.
“He was having real bad back spasms,” Werth said in the article. “That was the third day (pitching) in a row. He was banged up, man. No one knew. For him to just have the balls to go out there, that says a lot about him.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?