Feb 23, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Stephen Strasburg allowed two runs and three hits in the first inning.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Time was, if Stephen Strasburg gave up a home run in the first inning of the first game of spring training, the rest of the Nationals dugout would have been ready to brace for impact.
“I think last year at this time, if he would’ve done what he did in that first inning, we would have seen gloves flying, cups flying,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “He was pretty fairly composed today.”
Consider it another important step in Strasburg’s progression as a big-league pitcher. After getting roughed up by the Mets for two runs on three hits in the first inning this afternoon, the fourth-year right-hander composed himself and cruised through a 1-2-3 second inning, ending his first game appearance since last September’s shutdown on a high note.
As he’s come to learn with experience, results in late-February don’t mean squat.
“I remember, like my first couple spring trainings, I was coming in there, I threw a lot more beforehand,” he said. “I was in-season, ready to go, when spring training started. I’ve slowly started to
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon