Feb 24, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
Garcia has been experiencing pain just above his right wrist for the last week, though only when he throws fastballs, not offspeed pitches. An MRI revealed a minor strain, and after receiving a second opinion from a specialist in Baltimore, Garcia has been told he needs to rest his arm for as many as two more weeks.
"It's going to be on how he feels before he starts taking it up a notch," Johnson said. "I think probably 10 days to two weeks, to be on the safe side. But it's just going to be totally up to him."
The Nationals still hope to be able to stretch Garcia out this spring in their attempt to convert him into a starter at Class AAA Syracuse. Though this temporary shutdown would appear to hinder that plan, Johnson said there's still enough time in spring trainingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop