Feb 24, 2013, 10:40 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann allowed one run over three strong innings.
VIERA, Fla. — Just as pitchers don’t want to put too much stock in a bad outing to start spring training, neither do they want to give too much credence to a good appearance in late-February.
Jordan Zimmermann, though, couldn’t find much of anything to be disappointed with after his Grapefruit League debut this afternoon.
“I thought it went well,” the right-hander said after allowing one run on two hits in three innings to the Marlins. “I threw strikes. I was attacking hitters. And I mixed in a few changeups, which were mostly good ones. I’m happy with a first outing.”
Zimmermann was far more efficient than Stephen Strasburg yesterday against the Mets, completing his first two innings on only 23 pitches and thus getting the opportunity to return to the mound for the third inning. He wound up throwing 26 of his 43 pitches for strikes, several of them well-placed changeups (a point of emphasis this spring).
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record