Feb 25, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Henry Rodriguez has yet to appear in a game this spring.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Reliever Henry Rodriguez, being brought along slowly by the Nationals this spring following last year’s elbow surgery, is close to being cleared to pitch in games and make his case for a spot in the Opening Day bullpen.
Rodriguez threw off a bullpen mound yesterday in front of team officials and looked sharp, according to manager Davey Johnson.
The Nationals will have the right-hander throw one more bullpen session, then face hitters in a “live BP” setting before he appears in a Grapefruit League game. That’s similar to the plan the club has for recently signed right-hander Chris Young.
Even if he doesn’t make his spring debut until next week, Rodriguez still has plenty of time to earn a roster spot. He’s one of several pitchers in the running for the final spot in the Nationals’ bullpen — along with fellow right-hander Christian Garcia and non-roster lefty Bill Bray — and probably holds the upper hand based on the fact he’s out of options and can’t be sent to the minors without first clearing waivers.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win