Feb 26, 2013, 3:07 AM EDT
Gio Gonzalez was pleased with his two innings of work tonight.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Since arriving in camp two weeks ago, Gio Gonzalez has found himself talking more about off-the-field developments — his connection to the Biogenesis clinic under investigation, his addition to Team USA’s roster for the World Baseball Classic — than anything having to do with actually pitching a baseball.
Tonight, then, offered Gonzalez the opportunity to return to his comfort zone. He took the mound at Tradition Field for his first start of the year, and all was right with the world again.
Even if he was surprisingly nervous in that moment.
“It’s good to get on that mound again and get back at it,” the left-hander said. “Especially with the fan support I was getting out there. It’s good to hear that fans still support you and still love you. There were butterflies. You get the butterflies again. That’s a good thing.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort
- Nats lineup goes silent in loss to Braves
- Fister's rough inning leads to Nats' 4-1 loss to Braves
- New President makes Nationals race debut
- Las Vegas really likes the Nationals in October