Feb 26, 2013, 3:07 AM EST
Gio Gonzalez was pleased with his two innings of work tonight.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Since arriving in camp two weeks ago, Gio Gonzalez has found himself talking more about off-the-field developments — his connection to the Biogenesis clinic under investigation, his addition to Team USA’s roster for the World Baseball Classic — than anything having to do with actually pitching a baseball.
Tonight, then, offered Gonzalez the opportunity to return to his comfort zone. He took the mound at Tradition Field for his first start of the year, and all was right with the world again.
Even if he was surprisingly nervous in that moment.
“It’s good to get on that mound again and get back at it,” the left-hander said. “Especially with the fan support I was getting out there. It’s good to hear that fans still support you and still love you. There were butterflies. You get the butterflies again. That’s a good thing.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Could baseball return to Montreal? Maybe, possibly
- Nate McLouth called LaRoche before joining Nats
- NatsFest 2014 details announced with new venue
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape