Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
Ross Detwiler allowed two runs in three innings this afternoon.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Knowing he only gets to make two Grapefruit League starts before he appears in a competitive ballgame in the World Baseball Classic, Ross Detwiler had to take a slightly different approach to his first exhibition outing than other members of the Nationals rotation might.
“I was just in a competitive game,” Detwiler said after facing the Braves for 2 2/3 innings. “You saw the lineup they put out there today. I could’ve been embarrassed pretty easily. I think this helped me out a lot, seeing a lot of their top guys. It makes you focus on keeping the ball down, because any one of these guys can hit the ball a mile.”
If Detwiler was looking for a good tune-up for his scheduled March 9 appearance in the WBC, he couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity: A Feb. 26 start against an Atlanta lineup featuring six regulars, including Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, Dan Uggla and both Upton brothers.
And the left-hander certainly was happy with the results, especially his first two innings, which required only 29 pitches to complete. During that time, Detwiler showed off several knee-buckling
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October