Feb 26, 2013, 10:18 PM EST
Ross Detwiler allowed two runs in three innings this afternoon.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Knowing he only gets to make two Grapefruit League starts before he appears in a competitive ballgame in the World Baseball Classic, Ross Detwiler had to take a slightly different approach to his first exhibition outing than other members of the Nationals rotation might.
“I was just in a competitive game,” Detwiler said after facing the Braves for 2 2/3 innings. “You saw the lineup they put out there today. I could’ve been embarrassed pretty easily. I think this helped me out a lot, seeing a lot of their top guys. It makes you focus on keeping the ball down, because any one of these guys can hit the ball a mile.”
If Detwiler was looking for a good tune-up for his scheduled March 9 appearance in the WBC, he couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity: A Feb. 26 start against an Atlanta lineup featuring six regulars, including Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, Dan Uggla and both Upton brothers.
And the left-hander certainly was happy with the results, especially his first two innings, which required only 29 pitches to complete. During that time, Detwiler showed off several knee-buckling
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres