Feb 28, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
The Nats and Mets play under the lights tonight in Viera.
Everybody in the Nationals' rotation has now pitched once this spring. Tonight, Round 2 begins with Stephen Strasburg on the mound, facing the same Mets club he went up against five days ago. Strasburg threw 41 pitches over two innings in that start; tonight he'll be allowed to go three innings and 60 pitches as he build his arm up in advance of Opening Day. The right-hander also will put some added emphasis on fastball command, something he struggled with in the first inning last time out.
Strasburg will have several regulars behind him tonight, plus No. 1 catcher Kurt Suzuki calling pitches behind the plate. You'll notice Suzuki is actually hitting second for this game, a rare place to find a catcher. Don't read anything into that, though. Davey Johnson is merely trying to get Suzuki two at-bats as quick as possible so he can come out of the game.
Tonight's game also is the first to be televised by the Nats' crew this spring. Bob and F.P. are back for another season together and will have the call beginning at 6 p.m. If you live outside the D.C. area, you can pick up their simulcast on MLB Network.
Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 6:05 p.m. EST
TV: MASN, MLB Network
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 67 degrees, Wind 14 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
C Kurt Suzuki
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust