Feb 28, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
The Nats and Mets play under the lights tonight in Viera.
Everybody in the Nationals' rotation has now pitched once this spring. Tonight, Round 2 begins with Stephen Strasburg on the mound, facing the same Mets club he went up against five days ago. Strasburg threw 41 pitches over two innings in that start; tonight he'll be allowed to go three innings and 60 pitches as he build his arm up in advance of Opening Day. The right-hander also will put some added emphasis on fastball command, something he struggled with in the first inning last time out.
Strasburg will have several regulars behind him tonight, plus No. 1 catcher Kurt Suzuki calling pitches behind the plate. You'll notice Suzuki is actually hitting second for this game, a rare place to find a catcher. Don't read anything into that, though. Davey Johnson is merely trying to get Suzuki two at-bats as quick as possible so he can come out of the game.
Tonight's game also is the first to be televised by the Nats' crew this spring. Bob and F.P. are back for another season together and will have the call beginning at 6 p.m. If you live outside the D.C. area, you can pick up their simulcast on MLB Network.
Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 6:05 p.m. EST
TV: MASN, MLB Network
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 67 degrees, Wind 14 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
C Kurt Suzuki
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season