Mar 2, 2013, 4:55 PM EDT
|USA Today Sports Images|
Chase here setting up the game thread for today as Mark is off for the weekend. The Nationals are set to take on the St. Louis Cardinals today for the first time since the National League Division Series last fall. We'll see a familiar pitching matchup as Gio Gonzalez squares off with Adam Wainwright, they were the opposing pitchers in both Game 1 and Game 5 of the playoff series.
Pete Kozma has the day off, but Daniel Descalso will be out there. A few other familiar names from that series will be playing today as well. If you remember, these very Cardinals threw some salt on the wound after the series by saying Gio looked rattled in the moment in Game 5. Maybe Gio takes a little more energy into this outing than the other starts he will make this spring.
The Nats lineup features a bunch of their younger players including Steve Lombardozzi, Danny Espinosa, and Anthony Rendon. Maybe today will decide the future of the Nationals' second base position. Okay, maybe not.
Anyways, enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
Radio: St. Louis' KMOX radio via MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Cloudy, 64 degrees, Wind 11 mph
DH Danny Espinosa
2B Steve Lombardozzi
SS Ian Desmond
LF Tyler Moore
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia
- Injuries highlight the importance of rotation depth
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals