Mar 4, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Matt Purke hasn’t yet faced live hitters this spring.
It’s been 367 days since Matt Purke took the mound at Space Coast Stadium in a Nationals uniform, handed the ball by Davey Johnson to pitch his team’s 2012 exhibition opener against Georgetown University, and offered the entire organization reason to believe his path to the big leagues might be a quick one.
Purke, the highly touted left-hander from TCU drafted in 2011 and lured to professional ball by a four-year, $4.15 million, major-league contract, tossed three scoreless innings that afternoon against the Hoyas. More importantly, his shoulder felt strong after some questions about its stability during his final college season and the Arizona Fall League.
Put that all together, and the Nationals had legitimate visions of a fast track to the majors for a highly advanced pitching prospect.
Flash-forward one year, and Purke’s path to Washington has all but ground to a halt. He appeared in only three games last season for low-Class A Hagerstown, he was roughed up to the tune of a 5.87 ERA and a 1.76 WHIP and his shoulder was barking once again.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Friday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Friday's games
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday
- Fister seeks win No. 15 tonight in Miami
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship