Mar 5, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned pitcher Matt Purke to low-Class A Hagerstown following today’s game in Viera, a move that gives the left-hander a chance to continue his rehab from shoulder surgery in minor-league camp.
Purke, the organization’s third-round pick in 2011, had surgery in August to clean up his shoulder and remove a couple of inflamed bursa sacs. He’s currently restricted to two bullpen sessions per week, each thrown at 50 percent velocity, but he expects to ramp up his workload soon.
The Nationals plan for Purke — who received a four-year, $4.15 million, big-league contract after he was drafted out of TCU — to remain in Viera at extended spring training and then join the roster at Hagerstown in May or June. He’ll be limited to 100 innings this season.
Purke’s demotion today leaves 49 players in big-league camp, with 27 days still remaining until the Nationals’ season opener against the Marlins.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice