Mar 5, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned pitcher Matt Purke to low-Class A Hagerstown following today’s game in Viera, a move that gives the left-hander a chance to continue his rehab from shoulder surgery in minor-league camp.
Purke, the organization’s third-round pick in 2011, had surgery in August to clean up his shoulder and remove a couple of inflamed bursa sacs. He’s currently restricted to two bullpen sessions per week, each thrown at 50 percent velocity, but he expects to ramp up his workload soon.
The Nationals plan for Purke — who received a four-year, $4.15 million, big-league contract after he was drafted out of TCU — to remain in Viera at extended spring training and then join the roster at Hagerstown in May or June. He’ll be limited to 100 innings this season.
Purke’s demotion today leaves 49 players in big-league camp, with 27 days still remaining until the Nationals’ season opener against the Marlins.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort