Mar 5, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned pitcher Matt Purke to low-Class A Hagerstown following today’s game in Viera, a move that gives the left-hander a chance to continue his rehab from shoulder surgery in minor-league camp.
Purke, the organization’s third-round pick in 2011, had surgery in August to clean up his shoulder and remove a couple of inflamed bursa sacs. He’s currently restricted to two bullpen sessions per week, each thrown at 50 percent velocity, but he expects to ramp up his workload soon.
The Nationals plan for Purke — who received a four-year, $4.15 million, big-league contract after he was drafted out of TCU — to remain in Viera at extended spring training and then join the roster at Hagerstown in May or June. He’ll be limited to 100 innings this season.
Purke’s demotion today leaves 49 players in big-league camp, with 27 days still remaining until the Nationals’ season opener against the Marlins.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals