Mar 6, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bright House Field, spring training home of the Phillies.
As far as spring training matchups go, they don't get much better than this: Stephen Strasburg vs. Roy Halladay. OK, so each right-hander might be limited to four or five innings, and neither is facing a complete, big-league lineup. Still, you take what you can get on March 6 (especially when it's snowing here in D.C.).
Strasburg should actually face a decent test today against the Phillies, who are sending several regulars to the plate, including Michael Young, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard. The Nationals ace is coming off a strong start against the Mets in which he struck out six over three innings and displayed some remarkable command of his curveball and changeup for this early stage of the spring. We'll see if his fastball command improves today in Clearwater.
Strasburg and Denard Span are the only Nats regulars who made the 3-hour trip across the state from Viera, but there's one particularly interesting twist in this lineup: Anthony Rendon is not only hitting third, he's starting at shortstop for the first time. Davey Johnson has been working with the top prospect on his footwork at second base, but this might be the first step toward seeing just how versatile Rendon can be around the infield.
If you subscribe to MLB.tv, you can watch today's game live online at 1 p.m. If not, you can catch the replay at 9 p.m. on MLB Network…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Bright House Field, Clearwater
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
TV: MLB.tv (live), MLB Network (delayed at 9 p.m.)
Weather: Sunny, 61 degrees, Wind 21 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
2B Steve Lombardozzi
SS Anthony Rendon
DH Tyler Moore
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels