Mar 6, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Bright House Field, spring training home of the Phillies.
As far as spring training matchups go, they don't get much better than this: Stephen Strasburg vs. Roy Halladay. OK, so each right-hander might be limited to four or five innings, and neither is facing a complete, big-league lineup. Still, you take what you can get on March 6 (especially when it's snowing here in D.C.).
Strasburg should actually face a decent test today against the Phillies, who are sending several regulars to the plate, including Michael Young, Chase Utley and Ryan Howard. The Nationals ace is coming off a strong start against the Mets in which he struck out six over three innings and displayed some remarkable command of his curveball and changeup for this early stage of the spring. We'll see if his fastball command improves today in Clearwater.
Strasburg and Denard Span are the only Nats regulars who made the 3-hour trip across the state from Viera, but there's one particularly interesting twist in this lineup: Anthony Rendon is not only hitting third, he's starting at shortstop for the first time. Davey Johnson has been working with the top prospect on his footwork at second base, but this might be the first step toward seeing just how versatile Rendon can be around the infield.
If you subscribe to MLB.tv, you can watch today's game live online at 1 p.m. If not, you can catch the replay at 9 p.m. on MLB Network…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Where: Bright House Field, Clearwater
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
TV: MLB.tv (live), MLB Network (delayed at 9 p.m.)
Weather: Sunny, 61 degrees, Wind 21 mph out to RF
CF Denard Span
2B Steve Lombardozzi
SS Anthony Rendon
DH Tyler Moore
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions