Nats vs. Tigers – 3/10/13

Mar 10, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today

It is Chase here once again as Mark is off today. The Nationals travel to Lakeland, FL to take on the Detroit Tigers at their spring home, Joker Marchant Stadium.

The defending American League champs will feature a few of their regulars, including Victor Martinez and Prince Fielder. Throwing to them will be Dan Haren who will be making his third start of the spring for the Nats.

Washington's lineup is without most of the expected starters, save for Bryce Harper. Some of the organization's top prospects are in there, however, including Anthony Rendon (at shortstop) and Matt Skole. With the exception of Chad Tracy, almost everyone playing today is among the team's youngest players.

Anyways, here are the lineups…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Joker Marchant Stadium, Lakeland
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
TV: None
Radio: Tigers' Radio WXYT
Weather: Sunny, 73 degrees, Wind 16 mph

NATIONALS
RF Corey Brown
2B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos

1. MicheleS - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:03 PM

At least we have audio today. GYFNG!!!

2. natsfan1a - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I'm listening, too. Go, DAN!! Go, NATS!!

3. NatsLady - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The Kid with a single and a steal. Nothing else…

4. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM

5. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Then about the 5th inning it will switch to the Harrisburg/Potomac line up.

6. DWS - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Nice to listen to a ball game. I'm looking forward to the Canada USA game. Sorry but I'll have to go for the hockey players.

7. Mac - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM

NATIONALSRF Corey Brown2B Steve LombardozziCF Bryce HarperC Wilson RamosLF Tyler MooreDH Chad Tracy1B Chris Marrero3B Matt SkoleSS Anthony Rendon(RHP Dan Haren)There's a giant hole in the middle of that lineup.

8. NatsLady - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

9. psdfx - Mar 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the Nats have come SO far… I'm looking at today's YOUNG lineup and thinking that this exact group, in a year or two (offensively) looks like it would be potent…. And it seems like they would even score some runs if they played together in the big leagues THIS season.

10. baseballswami - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:19 PM

They might be making some mistakes, but they have been mostly holding their own against MLB players. You have to think this camp experience is valuable to them and the organization.

11. MicheleS - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM

NatsJack.. you called it. Harrisburg/Potomac working their way into the lineup in the 5th

12. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Hudson is getting hammered by the Fish at Disney.

13. natsfan1a - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I believe he was talking about the white space.NatsLady said… Yeah, not such great D. The Detroit announcers are very honest that those runs were greatly aided by the Nats… March 10, 2013 1:39 PM

14. BigCat - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Hudson not the same Hudson as a couple years ago. Hopefully Haren not in that same boat. How is he looking today?

15. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Haren has looked solid every time out so far.

16. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

USA starting out like another typical Spring Training game.

17. PFB Balls of Fire - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Anyone know a radio station that is stremaing the WBC game? Can't find one.

18. JayB - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Njack…WBC is nothing but that for USA team. It is a joke, not because those on the team do not care but because of the time of year and the fact pitchers are limited to pitch counts. Wish this thing would just go a way again.

19. Section 222 - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM

PFB, I'm pretty sure there is no radio streaming of the WBC except for through the WBC Baseball app (free) or from MLB.com. Maybe they should have saved Det for this game…

20. JayB - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Maybe they should have someone other than #4 and % starters on the roster.

21. EmDash - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Clearly they should've had Ross start today instead.

22. baseballswami - Mar 10, 2013 at 8:59 PM

WBC is good for the international promotion of baseball. That does not mean it's good for MLB. Bad timing for us. I guess we just field a team, participate as best we can, and be happy that the rest of the world is just so passionate about the game. Maybe they don 't need us to be the stars of this tournament. Let some country who really appreciates it and has no other baseball outlet enjoy the ride.

23. PFB Balls of Fire - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:00 PM

222, no audio on the app. Anyone, I'm cool to watch the Gameday cartoon. Maybe ESPN radio will broadcast more games as the tournament progresses.

24. Section 222 - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM

PFB, there's video on my app. You just need to sign in with your mlb.com account. Pretty cool.

25. Section 222 - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Video also available on mlb.com on your computer.

26. PFB Balls of Fire - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Rreally? I thought it had to be linked to a cable tv account. Hold on, let me try.

27. MicheleS - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Well at least Holland has settled in.

28. JayB - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I have said in the past I think the USA WBC team should be picked from High A and Below players in Sept before the games start. These guys would not be have any role in the MLB ST camps. These guys should spend the winter in Fall as an AZ team and then play in the Winter Leagues as a team. Then they are ready to go in March at full bore. Not saying they would win….I do not care but at least they would be ready, a team and not hurting MLB teams who pay them.

29. NCNatsie - Mar 10, 2013 at 9:31 PM

We're home safely from Viera after a fine weekend with the Nats and only moderate sunburns. Many thanks to JD and to Natsjack for stopping by to introduce themselves — it felt like I was meeting celebrities.What a fine institution Nats Insider is!! Thanks, Mark.

30. Section 222 - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Anyone watching the WBC? Could it really be true that they are considering changing the tie-break rules because of the brawl between Mexico and Canada yesterday? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Treating throwing at hitters as an unavoidable consequence of a rule that encourages teams to score as many runs as they can. Absurd.Not that I think a tiebreaker that involves runs scored is perfect, but what's the alternative? Jim Kaat has some crazy idea about the percentage of strikes thrown and time on the field. Talk about bizarre.

31. MicheleS - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

why the heck is Torre bunting all the time. GEESH. SWING THE FRICKIN Bat

32. EmDash - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Watching the WBC: good god, so much bunting, so many bad decisions. Was Joe Torre always such a poor game manager?

33. NatsLady - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Yes, I am watching the WBC. Maybe they should just explain the rules better, rather than changing them.

34. NatsLady - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM

You have to hope Kimbrel can preserve a FIVE run lead, right?

35. natscan reduxit - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM

… it's like I said. Many countries can field a good looking baseball team. But only the US can count on another bunch of quality studs on the bench in the background or bullpen. Canada is becoming a great baseball country; always has been. But even Canada gets too thin for this level once you get past the starting nine. Time will come, one hopes. But that time is called 'the future'.… someday, the WBC will be a real tournament pitting a variety of quality baseball organizations in an attempt to determine the best baseball country in the world. But it ain't here yet…. there are some who claim that we have to endure this level of WBC to ensure a better level is made possible. Maybe, and when that day comes, give me a call.… but until it does, Go Nats!!

36. Anna Peregrina - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM

So when will Gio pitch?

37. natsfan1a - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Woo hoo!! I totally called the Hosmer hit, btw. He was playing for Tex, right? Awesome. Sorry about the outcome for our northern friends but your guys gave us a good game.

38. natsfan1a - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I believe he's due on Tuesday, Anna.

39. peric - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Except for Haren, Harper, Lombo and Ramos, Nats send their Syracuse/Harrisburg line up.Natsjack I believe you will be very, very sorry for saying that about Tyler Moore and you know I will be here to remind you … over-and-over again dude.You might reconsider before saying as much …

40. natscan reduxit - Mar 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM

… thx natsfan 1a. You're right. As a game, it was a nail-biter all the way. And Canada's game yesterday with Mex brought out some pride in me, in spite of my admitted disaproval of the event as a whole.Go Insiders! Go Nats!!

41. baseballswami - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I tried to fight it, but seeing Det pitch the way he did last night in that shirt, I felt proud. Glad they pulled it together today. You have to admit, it's good to see so much passion for the game internationally.

42. MicheleS - Mar 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

43. Gonat - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM

MicheleS said… How Awesome.. ESPN (the mother ship) has the Deportes feed! Maybe I can remember some of my spanish. March 10, 2013 8:24 PM ___________________________________The ESPN has some better video like the camera on the field. They had some great video of the brawl and had a guy on the field who got closeups.#57 (Johnson) who is a Canadian pitcher was swinging for the knockout. Luckily he only connected with the air but had later in the brawl a nice hockey style takedown.

44. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I got a little bored, so I wrote up all the Nats who are in the WBC and what they've done–and not done.Nats in the WBChttp://ladyandthenats.blogspot.com/2013/03/nats-in-wbc.html

45. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Gio will pitch against the loser of the Dom/PR game (the one that's on now).

46. baseballswami - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I may be late to this party, but was that ex-Nat Shawn Hill in the Canadian dugout?

47. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Someone complain about Joe Torre? You are not alone.Team USAhttp://splashit.mlblogs.com/2013/03/10/joe-torre-cant-stop-usa-from-advancing/

48. baseballswami - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I did not know that he was still an active pitcher.

49. natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Posted a link on this last fall, but he pitched in Canada's WBC qualifier last September, then pitched for the Jays the remainder of the season.

50. natsfan1a - Mar 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Here's a better link on Hill.

51. Oldguy - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Since there is no game in Viera Tuesday I think I'll go down to Miami to watch Gio. I watched the final in LA 4 on TV years ago and that was as exciting a baseball environment as I have seen: bands, banners, noisemakers, costumes, organized cheers. And it was a great game. Those Asian fans are bonkers over baseball.

52. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:33 AM

53. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:34 AM

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWPThe atmosphere of the Dominican Republic-Puerto Rico game on ESPN looks awesome. By the way, Eury Perez is now in at center field.

54. baseballswami - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Very nice piece on Nats in the WBC , NatsLady. Thanks!

55. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Great catch by our Eury!!!

56. Gonat - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Eury Perez with a really nice catch!

57. baseballswami - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Did you see that catch by Eury Perez????

58. Gonat - Mar 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I owe you a Coke! Where's that link! Put one on there for me to NatsLady!

59. Section 222 - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:09 AM

That was a sweet catch, deserving of a postscript to NL's blog entry.Here's the NIDO Spreadsheet. :-)

60. NatsLady - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I put an update in on the catch. Hoping I can find a video or at least a photo.

61. Scooter - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:54 AM

If I'm not much mistaken, Shawn Hill started an earlier game for Canada, for those who were wondering. Y'all may have noticed that not all these dudes are major-leaguers, btw — or even in American organized ball at all.

62. Scooter - Mar 11, 2013 at 3:56 AM

That is to say, I know Hill pitched, and I think he started.

63. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM