Mar 11, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg faces the Braves today at Space Coast Stadium.
As Opening Day inches closer and closer — now three weeks and counting — pitchers are getting more opportunities to stretch themselves out and position players are getting more opportunities to play on a regular basis. We'll see evidence of both today when the Nationals face the Braves in Viera.
Stephen Strasburg takes the mound for his fourth start of the spring. (Incredibly, he's still got three more after this one.) The right-hander has put up some impressive numbers so far in camp — 13 strikeouts in 8 2/3 innings — but now's the time for him to start building up stamina. He's yet to complete four innings, so the hope today would be that he at least does that and perhaps reaches the fifth inning for the first time.
Strasburg will be pitching with basically his entire starting team behind him in the field. The only exception is at third base, where Chad Tracy will make another start as Ryan Zimmerman gets another day in as DH. Sounds like we'll see Zim in the field in about a week or so.
Charlie and Dave are back on the radio today, so enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. ATLANTA BRAVES
Where: Space Coast Stadium, Viera
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EST
Radio: WHFS (1580 AM), MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Partly cloudy, 76 degrees, Wind 13 mph in from CF
CF Denard Span
RF Jayson Werth
LF Bryce Harper
DH Ryan Zimmerman
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman