Mar 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann allowed one earned run over 4 2/3 innings today.
VIERA, Fla. — It’s a difficult thing to explain, the “dead arm” sensation that so many pitchers experience during spring training, and Jordan Zimmermann struggled today to put into words what he felt five days previous when he was rocked by the Cardinals for eight runs in only three innings.
“The other day, it just didn’t feel like it was coming out of my hand with any zip,” the Nationals right-hander said. “Today, I was staying behind the fastball and getting a little extra zip on it.”
Whatever the physiological difference was, the disparity in results was glaring. Zimmermann allowed just one earned run over 4 2/3 innings this afternoon against the Mets, striking out six in a solid, bounce-back effort at Space Coast Stadium.
“Jordan threw the heck out of the ball,” manager Davey Johnson said. “Threw the ball great. … That was a good outing.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado