Mar 13, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Jordan Zimmermann allowed one earned run over 4 2/3 innings today.
VIERA, Fla. — It’s a difficult thing to explain, the “dead arm” sensation that so many pitchers experience during spring training, and Jordan Zimmermann struggled today to put into words what he felt five days previous when he was rocked by the Cardinals for eight runs in only three innings.
“The other day, it just didn’t feel like it was coming out of my hand with any zip,” the Nationals right-hander said. “Today, I was staying behind the fastball and getting a little extra zip on it.”
Whatever the physiological difference was, the disparity in results was glaring. Zimmermann allowed just one earned run over 4 2/3 innings this afternoon against the Mets, striking out six in a solid, bounce-back effort at Space Coast Stadium.
“Jordan threw the heck out of the ball,” manager Davey Johnson said. “Threw the ball great. … That was a good outing.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres