Mar 14, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper rounds the bases after homering in the first inning yesterday.
VIERA, Fla. — It appears all but a certainty now that the Nationals will open the season with Bryce Harper hitting third and Ryan Zimmerman sliding down into the cleanup role consistently for the first time in his career. And based on the way things have progressed here this spring, why wouldn't Davey Johnson want to go with that lineup arrangement?
Yes, we always have to issue the disclaimer about this only being spring training, and you should never read too much into spring training stats. OK, good, now that we have that out of the way, let's read too much into spring training stats!
Here are Harper and Zimmerman's current Grapefruit League batting lines…
Aside from the fact they're not drawing any walks at this point, it's hard not to like those numbers. Plain and simple, both Harper and Zimmerman have been raking at the plate all spring, and neitherRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology
- Dr. Jobe's impact on baseball was immeasurable