Mar 14, 2013, 10:11 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Chris Young allowed one run over four innings today against the Astros.
VIERA, Fla. — Chris Young signed late this spring, joined the Nationals after camp had already opened and is trying to get his mechanics all the way back to normal following several years of shoulder trouble. So the veteran right-hander understands results right now are far less significant than the progress he makes start to start.
And Young did make progress in his second outing of the spring, allowing one run over four innings against the Astros but more importantly getting his mechanics closer to ideal form.
“Today was progress, for sure,” he said. “A step in the right direction. Command was a little bit better. Still not exactly where I want it, but it’s still spring training. Overall, I think there were some positives.”
Though he’s making progress, Young may not have much more time in Nationals camp to make an impression. He’s currently filling in for Ross Detwiler, who has been pitching for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, so he’ll lose that starting job once the left-hander returns in the next week.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres