Mar 14, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Chris Young allowed one run over four innings today against the Astros.
VIERA, Fla. — Chris Young signed late this spring, joined the Nationals after camp had already opened and is trying to get his mechanics all the way back to normal following several years of shoulder trouble. So the veteran right-hander understands results right now are far less significant than the progress he makes start to start.
And Young did make progress in his second outing of the spring, allowing one run over four innings against the Astros but more importantly getting his mechanics closer to ideal form.
“Today was progress, for sure,” he said. “A step in the right direction. Command was a little bit better. Still not exactly where I want it, but it’s still spring training. Overall, I think there were some positives.”
Though he’s making progress, Young may not have much more time in Nationals camp to make an impression. He’s currently filling in for Ross Detwiler, who has been pitching for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, so he’ll lose that starting job once the left-hander returns in the next week.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers