Progress for Young in 2nd start

Mar 14, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Chris Young allowed one run over four innings today against the Astros.

VIERA, Fla. — Chris Young signed late this spring, joined the Nationals after camp had already opened and is trying to get his mechanics all the way back to normal following several years of shoulder trouble. So the veteran right-hander understands results right now are far less significant than the progress he makes start to start.

And Young did make progress in his second outing of the spring, allowing one run over four innings against the Astros but more importantly getting his mechanics closer to ideal form.

“Today was progress, for sure,” he said. “A step in the right direction. Command was a little bit better. Still not exactly where I want it, but it’s still spring training. Overall, I think there were some positives.”

Though he’s making progress, Young may not have much more time in Nationals camp to make an impression. He’s currently filling in for Ross Detwiler, who has been pitching for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, so he’ll lose that starting job once the left-hander returns in the next week.

1. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Will he go to minors? That's what we need from him. He can do whatever he wants in ST. There is little chance we release him unless he very badly bombs.

2. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM

can we get a new post for WBC match?

3. Gonat - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I had no idea how accomplished Chris Young was in basketball also!

4. NG - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Mark-Any chance you could explain a little more what the scenarios are if he doesn't exercise the opt-out on March 24th? If that date passes, is he stuck in our minor-league system for the full season unless/until the Nationals purchase his contract (presumably in the event of starter injury).

5. Gonat - Mar 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Sean Burnett has a 54.00 ERA and got pulled yesterday after 5 batters getting only 1 out and giving up 2 runs and 4 hits. He faced Nick Hundley and then 4 no names as he worked the 7th inning.

6. EmDash - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM

If he opts out, the contract is nullified – don't know if he gets any money, or if so how much. He'd presumably only do that if he had a major league offer or expecteed to get one, I guess. If he doesn't opt out, then he'll spend the year in the minors as 2013 John Lannan, but he can't be too eager for that.

7. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:30 AM

The fact that Angel Hernandez would call a game this big this badly, even for him, and in front of Joe Torre, speaks loudly to how awful MLB's umpiring regime is. Taking the bottom third of the strike away from Dickey, and giving Deduno a full 6 inches on both sides of the strike zone. Now after that supposed punchout of Cruz, at least he's calling them a little more evenly — but still badly.

8. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Dickey's now at 72 pitches after 4, so with an 80 pitch limit, looks like we may see National Det in the 5th.Go get 'em Ross!

9. EmDash - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:32 AM

…the 'he' in my comment being Chris Young, of course. :)

10. MicheleS - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Steady.. No ross yet, some guy from San Diego is in the pen right now

11. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM

M-, if Young stays as reasonably competent as he was today, it'll be surprising if one of the poorer teams doesn't pick him up. Not an easy call — be AAA insurance for one of the best teams in baseball, or a #5 starter for one of the worst?Boy that strike 3 to Arencibia was in the opposite batter's box. Hernandez is a flat out disgrace.

12. DaveB - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM

NG … I think I read that if Young does not exercise the opt-out on 3/24, he is still what is called a XX(b) signing (MLB player w/ 6yrs+, signed to a minor league contract). This means that if the Nats keep him, but he is sent to the minors, he gets a $100K bonus, and gets another opt-out opportunity on 6/1 if he is still not promoted to majors by then.

13. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM

this is one close game.

14. EmDash - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM

No Detwiler tonight, it seems – saw him in the dugout. They must be saving him to partner up with Vogelsong on Saturday, or maybe to start if they end up losing this game and have to play an extra one.

15. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM

M-, I suspect you're right. Not knowing whether they have a win-or-go-home game tomorrow, or no game, if they play tomorrow I'd want to start Det rather than Holland. Not that Torre necessarily will, though he should. But I hope that's all moot.And in any case, the Saturday game isn't nearly as important as tomorrow's would be if they had to play it (Saturday game is just for seeding).

16. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Cishak is a tough pitcher — mostly gave us trouble last year if I recall.

17. EmDash - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Seeding is pretty important though – the lower seed will have to fly to San Francisco and play Japan all in less than 24 hours, which makes you pretty likely to be out of the tournament. Higher seed gets an extra day to rest and play the Netherlands, so they've got a much better shot.

18. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Are we really playing in Miami? Man, the crowd was so loud for Strop.

19. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM

actually why don't they decide seeding after PR vs loser of this game? winner of this game will be undefeated so automatically top seed. I don't see anything wrong with that.

20. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I am off to sleep. My link stopped working.

21. EmDash - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Blown save for Kimbrel! Wow.

22. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM

M- only consolation is the possibility that that's a sign of things to come. And not just Spring Training.

23. baseballswami - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I hate losing in March as much as I hate losing in October. Especially to that bunch of dramatic, obnoxious millionaires. That team probably makes more money per year than the GNP of the DR. Sorry- the excessive celebrations and home run admiring just frosts me. Had Kimbrel ever experienced a "Storen" before in his entire career? Oh, wait- the answer would me no, because the Braves have not been to the post- season! We worried about the pitching, but the offense just failed.

24. Section 222 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Ok, so who starts tomorrow in a do or die game? Hmm. If Joe Torre was watching the NLDS, he might just go with the guy who pitched Game 4 for the Nats so brilliantly.

25. Section 222 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:12 AM

To win this tournament, the U.S. will have to play tomorrow, Saturday, either Sunday or Monday, and Tuesday. Gio will likely pitch the semi-final game on Sunday or Monday, with Dickey available for the final game on Tuesday. Det, Holland, and Vogelsong are all available for the games tomorrow and Saturday (if they win tomorrow). Interesting choice for Torre. Anyone know if an announcement has been made?

26. mick - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:22 AM

can't wait to join you all on opening day. quick shout out to Prep beating Lombo's Good Counsel team. both teams are going to have great seasons.

27. mick - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I am so excited for this season!

28. Section 222 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Well, it's Vogelsong. Oh well. If we lose and exit the tournament, we can all say, "told you so!"

29. Scooter - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:59 AM

I thought tonight's game was terrific. The Dominicans' celebrations are fun to watch, though they were a bit over the top sometimes for my taste.My almost-7-year-old daughter has greatly improved her honkball knowledge over the last week or so. The other day, she saw Kimbrel and commented on his strange before-coming-set stance. Didn't some announcer once say Kimbrel looked like he was smuggling a sheep?

30. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Swami, I believe Kimbrel blew the save that cost Braves a playoff berth in 2011. He did not give up go ahead run but yes, he blew it.I thought their celebrations were fun (everyone jumping on the field after go ahead run crosses plate), different than usual high-fives we see in MLB.I did see the last inning last night. It happens so that my cousin has MLBN and I couldn't go to sleep. I think US and DR can both put better players on field. Hopefully Captain America can play tonight.

31. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Astute viewer, your daughter. I was remarking on that comparison to my husband just the other day. However, I believe the livestock in question was a pig rather than a sheep. May have been Dibble who said it.Scooter said… I thought tonight's game was terrific. The Dominicans' celebrations are fun to watch, though they were a bit over the top sometimes for my taste. My almost-7-year-old daughter has greatly improved her honkball knowledge over the last week or so. The other day, she saw Kimbrel and commented on his strange before-coming-set stance. Didn't some announcer once say Kimbrel looked like he was smuggling a sheep? March 14, 2013 11:59 PM

32. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Oh, and put me down as not enjoying the Dominican variety of celebrations.

33. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Faraz, Captain America is not playing tonight.

34. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

It's a game. It's supposed to be fun.