Mar 14, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Anthony Rendon hit .375 with a team-high four homers and 11 RBI this spring.
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals made their second round of spring training cuts this morning, sending top prospect Anthony Rendon and six others to minor-league camp.
Rendon was optioned to Class AA Harrisburg, where he’ll open the season. Right-hander Nathan Karns, the organization’s pitcher of the year in 2012, also was optioned to Harrisburg, along with catcher Sandy Leon. Outfielder Eury Perez (currently playing for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic) was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Infielders Matt Skole and Will Rhymes and left-hander Patrick McCoy, meanwhile, were re-assigned to minor-league camp.
Though he excelled in big-league camp, hitting .375 (12-for-32) with a team-high four homers and 11 RBI, Rendon knew all along he would open the season in the minors after missing most of last year with an ankle injury. He’ll return to Harrisburg, where he closed out 2012, but could get promoted to Class AAA Syracuse in short order and could reach Washington sometime this season.
“He just needs to go and play,” manager Davey Johnson said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge