Rendon among morning cuts

Mar 14, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Anthony Rendon hit .375 with a team-high four homers and 11 RBI this spring.

VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals made their second round of spring training cuts this morning, sending top prospect Anthony Rendon and six others to minor-league camp.

Rendon was optioned to Class AA Harrisburg, where he’ll open the season. Right-hander Nathan Karns, the organization’s pitcher of the year in 2012, also was optioned to Harrisburg, along with catcher Sandy Leon. Outfielder Eury Perez (currently playing for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic) was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse. Infielders Matt Skole and Will Rhymes and left-hander Patrick McCoy, meanwhile, were re-assigned to minor-league camp.

Though he excelled in big-league camp, hitting .375 (12-for-32) with a team-high four homers and 11 RBI, Rendon knew all along he would open the season in the minors after missing most of last year with an ankle injury. He’ll return to Harrisburg, where he closed out 2012, but could get promoted to Class AAA Syracuse in short order and could reach Washington sometime this season.

“He just needs to go and play,” manager Davey Johnson said.

1. NatsLady - Mar 14, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Final grades in the Nats Lefty reliever "contest." It's been fun to watch, gave me some real insight into how hard it is to make a major-league roster.Lefty Final Gradeshttp://ladyandthenats.blogspot.com/2013/03/nats-lefty-contest-final-grades.html

2. Sholom90 - Mar 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM

3. NatsLady - Mar 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Also gave me some insight into how difficult this blogging thing is. I mean, it's REAL work!!! Thanks for all the work Mark does! (Again!) One post took all morning (6 hours), and I already had most of the data. Now I wanna go read stuff, listen to baseball on the radio and post about the WBC. Poor Italy, they're out of it.

4. SonnyG10 - Mar 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

NL, I knew writing a blog would be a lot of work. Heck, I struggle just to make a post or two. I, too, am grateful for the fine job Mark does. Also for Chase when he steps in for Mark. Just to do it is great but to do it with quality is heaven sent.

5. Theophilus T. S. - Mar 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Italy has other things to divert their attention.

6. Candide - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Meh. At least people read your blog, NL. My own mother doesn't read mine…

7. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Does Rendon have the same Super 2 and contract issues we discussed around Harper's callup last year? I assume he does, though I don't think that's why they're sending him down now. Just wondering.

8. natsfan1a - Mar 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM

It's all in the promotion, Candide. ;-)

Mark joins Rob Carlin and Brent Harris every Thursday at 4 p.m. on Comcast SportsNet for a half-hour show on the Nats, Orioles and rest of MLB. Re-airs Thursdays at 11:30 p.m., Saturdays at 9 a.m. and Sundays at 11:30 a.m.

*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.