Mar 15, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Dan Haren was roughed up for five runs in five innings by the Cardinals.
JUPITER, Fla. — He could have come up with an excuse or tried to sugarcoat the situation by searching for some positives to come out of his ragged outing this afternoon.
Dan Haren didn't bother. He just told it like it was.
"Just one of those days, man," the Nationals right-hander sighed after allowing five runs in five innings with a fastball that never topped 89 mph. "I felt like I was throwing a weighted ball out there. It was just bad, all the way around."
Haren insisted he's not injured. He hopes he was simply dealing with the same "dead arm" issue that plagues many pitchers in mid-March, though "I don't even know what that is, I just didn't feel great."
The results weren't pretty: Haren allowed four runs during a first inning that included two towering homers clubbed by the Cardinals' Jon Jay and Matt Adams and first-pitch strikes to only one of theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals