Nats vs. Cardinals – 3/15/13

Mar 15, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Dan Haren and the Nationals face the Cardinals at Roger Dean Stadium.

JUPITER, Fla. — Hello from Roger Dean Stadium, where today the Nationals face those blasted Cardinals again. There are some familiar names playing for St. Louis today that will bring back some bad memories for Nats fans: Adam Wainwright, Daniel Descalso and Pete Kozma are all manager Mike Matheny's lineup.

Dan Haren, meanwhile, starts for the Nationals against the franchise that originally drafted him. This will be Haren's fourth outing of the spring, and the veteran right-hander will look to continue the progress he's been making start to start. Not too many big names in the Nats lineup since most of the regulars played the last two days at home. But we will get another look at Micah Owings, whose grand slam yesterday was the latest display of power from the former pitcher.

Today's game is being televised by the Cardinals' broadcast crew and is available to subscribers on MLB.tv. Or, if you're really deranged, you can watch the tape delayed broadcast on MLB Network at the convenient time of 3 a.m. EDT. Better yet, you can check back here for updates throughout…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Roger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MLB.tv (live), MLB Network (delayed at 3 a.m.)
Radio: None
Weather: Partly cloudy, 68 degrees, Wind 12 mph LF to RF

NATIONALS
2B Steve Lombardozzi
C Kurt Suzuki
RF Tyler Moore
DH Chad Tracy

1. Section 222 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

New posted:I continue to believe that Young will go elsewhere. We'll soon see about that. If they want to keep him, and to do that they have to stash him in the bullpen, he could take over the RH long relief role and Stammen could pitch more in the late innings. That might be a good thing because of his effectiveness against LH hitters, as discussed a few days ago.For this to happen, H-Rod might have to catch his finger in a car door again.

2. Faraz Shaikh - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM

His opt-out date is 26th, right? so we have time. I think HRod will fix this problem by himself one way or the other. :P

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Its a good lineup to see what some of the bubble players can do.

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Here's your RZim fielding update:Washington Nationals ‏@Nationals "He looks great, I'm not worried about him at all," – Davey on Zim, who will get 1st start at 3rd base either Saturday or Monday

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

6. peric - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Suzuki batting second is interesting … now let's see what happens whether non-bubble player Tyler Moore sees more at bats going toward opening day. If his power wakes up he just might continue to see more throughout April and May. Why? Because that's the kind of baseball Davey likes to play and Davey believes in getting fast starts … if he wants a World Series ring and given the situation in the NL that would be wise.

7. peric - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Given that quote from Davey, where the bleep did Phil Wood get his info from to make his statement on Ryan?Who cares? This isn't 2 or 3 years ago dude. They've got Anthony Rendon and Zim can slide into first base. Puts some pressure on LaRoche to not get off to his traditional slow start … just like last year. But its a subtle always in the back of your mind pressure. Hopefully the kind that will raise the level of play.

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Peric, I think if you made that suggestion to Davey or Rizzo they would look at you like you lost your mind.Unless LaRoche is injured, you aren't going to see Zim at 1st base until the 2015 at the earliest.

9. Tcostant - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Scrub day – only one opening day start in the bunch.

10. sjm308 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Responding to a couple of comments in the last post.Why do so many of you list Rendon as a 2nd baseman?He might take grounders there and be working on all 3 positions but he truly is a 3rd baseman and I think that is where he is most comfortable and will end up for our team. I see him on the big league roster later this year as a utility guy and like Ghost says, when LaRoche is done in 2015 then they might move Zimm and plug in Rendon. My point is, Rendon is not a 2nd baseman.Theo mentions centerfield as a weakpoint depthwise. I am surprised Peric didn't jump through the screen. His boy Corey Brown is more then competent and Bernadina also does a nice job. Add Perez, Goodwin and Taylor and you really have a backlog in Centerfield, not a weakness. Oh, there is one more guy who might be able to help in CF, I think he goes by Bryce Harper. Bottom line is, this is not a position to worry about.

11. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Reasonable set of starters to spare the regulars the 4 hour round trip bus ride, but that is one bizarro batting order. Walters 9th and Zuk 2nd? I guess Tracy and Zuk are higher to get them more PAs before pulling them in the 6th, but looks like this is maybe partly for Davey's entertainment.Why not? It's a long Spring Training this year.

12. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM

sjm, they may (may not) need to find a spot for Rendon in 2014 and nobody knows where that position is which is why they want him to get in work at all 3 infield spots. Some of this also has to be for showcasing him to raise his value. Remember, he is still trade bait if there is a greater need and yes, luckily there isn't a greater need right now. The best outcome this year is for Rendon to join the team as a September callup and go from there.

13. NatsLady - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Well, this was an adventure. I got an email from FedEx in my spam folder, and it was, in fact, spam. When I tried putting the "tracking number" into the online system, it didn't work. So I called FedEx, and said I had gotten this email. The lady quoted the text of the email, word for word, and then said, "I apologize, that is fraudulent."However, by giving my address & name, she found that my REAL package is scheduled for delivery on March 18. So beware, folks!

14. NatsLady - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:45 PM

What else was Davey going to say about RZ? All last year Zim insisted he was fine, was great, then he got the shot and he actually was great, offensively, but then after the season he reported that the shot blocked the pain and he thought he could do stuff (defensively) that he couldn't. You are not going to get the straight story from these guys until it's absolutely unavoidable–like he's not playing or he's on the DL–and why should you? Unless you are playing fantasy baseball, you don't have a NEED to know…

15. Section 222 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I ignore any comment from Davey that starts with "John's my guy" or "I'm not worried about…"

16. JD - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ghost, I agree with your Rendon assessment completely. 2 things may change it: 1) a significant injury to a regular where they feel that an impact bat is absolutely necessary. 2) Rendon's performance at AA is such that he should not be kept down any longer. Like Harper I don't believe Rendon will ever be brought up to be a utility/multi position player. If he comes up he will be given a position and and regular spot in the batting order; this is not Lombo we are talking about. As you say and I agree a trade is still one of the options Rizzo will weigh. I am not so sure we have our future 1st baseman on the team just yet and there is always a possibility that we will lose one of our starting pitchers to free agency down the line. Justin Smoak was every bit the coveted prospect that Rendon is today and Seattle traded Cliff Lee to get him so don't should think that this idea is sacrilege.

17. NatsLady - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Remember the Mike Morse three-way trade? I believe this is the PTBNL, at least if I understand Byron Kerr's post correctly.http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=treine001bla

18. NatsLady - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:07 PM

JD–how's the Lee for Smoak trade looking for the M's? I think it will be a while before another team follows that model.

19. Theophilus T. S. - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM

sjm — The reason I said CF was "thin" is that none of your options in lieu of Span has shown the ability to hit in the major leagues. Span is here because management has decided Bernadina can't play CF on a day-to-day basis. If something happens to Span, or he goes 0-33, then my guess is Harper or Werth or some combination moves into CF and Bernadina gets slotted into the corner. That's the only way to keep the offense running and avoid a defensive roulette game.

20. JD - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM

NL, Teams going nowhere trade stars for prospects all the time. I am just trying to caution people that prospects are never a sure thing and sometimes trading a prospect gets you the best value for him. It's not full proof because sometimes you trade a prospect like Baltimore did with Jeff Bagwell and he winds up having a near hall of fame career. All I am saying is that there are many ways to skin a cat.

21. JD - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM

SJM and Theo, Span has had enough of a history where his falling totally flat on his face is highly unlikely. It just may take him more than a couple of weeks of ST to get going.

22. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

JD, well laid out and its a good problem to have when you have a stud player who is blocked. Its possible that Rendon stays in the Minors for most of 2014 also if he is blocked because as you said he isn't coming to the Nats to be a utility player.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM

JD, I think you mean Boston, not Baltimore, in regards to Bagwell.Yah, that didn't work out to well for Boston.

24. NatsLady - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Let me say this about Spring Training stats (re: Span). Raise your hand if you thing the KC Royals are the best team in the AL, and the Angels are the worst team. And raise BOTH hands if you think the Rockies are the best team in the NL. http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/exhibition.jsp?tcid=mm_mlb_standings#20130929

25. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

NL, it happens that way every year and has little to do with what actually happens in the regular season although I would say that the Royals on paper look like they will compete in their division. I will repeat, on paper.

26. Anna Peregrina - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Anyone else having trouble with MLB.TV? I'm just getting the revolving circles.

27. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Or, if you're only mildly deranged, you can DVR the tape delayed broadcast and watch it later in the day. Or not. :-)Or, if you're really deranged, you can watch the tape delayed broadcast on MLB Network at the convenient time of 3 a.m. EDT.

28. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Maybe he wanted to give Bryce a few lifestyle tips and didn't realize he didn't make the trip. What? :-)Joe Namath, who is here for some reason. Nice ovation, as you'd expect, for Broadway Joe, who still has a little oomph in his right arm.

29. Michael S - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Anna, i'm watching on my laptop and having no problems except for Haren's pitching

30. Michael S - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I guess Haren's "working on things?"

31. Drew - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

When Mark said they're in Jupiter, he meant Haren's homers.Back to Rendon for a sec. It would be great fun if he went off, had a spectacular season and forced the Nats' hand.I like to think about Leo sitting in New York and getting reports about the kid centerfielder in Minneapolis who was hitting .477 after 149 at bats."All righty, then."(No, of course I don't think Rendon is Willie Mays. Just sayin' talent will out.)

32. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

"Today's game is being televised by the Cardinals' broadcast crew "Isn't it a little early in the day for them to be, umm, broadcasting?

33. Section 222 - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Kilgore reports that Davey said Gio will pitch the WBC championship game on Tuesday if they U.S. gets that far. His and McCatty's rotation plans are kind of in limbo pending the conclusion of the WBC since Det might pitch tonight, or tomorrow, or not at all. If the U.S. loses tonight, Gio will pitch Sunday for the Nats.

34. baseballswami - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Haren taking his turn at having a dead arm? Seems like all the pitcher have had a stinker day in the last week. I am hoping this is an aberration and not the norm.

35. Anna Peregrina - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

OK, maybe it's for the best that I can't see or hear this one. But don't know why MLB.TV isn't working for me.

36. Michael S - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM

OK I can't listen to these Cardinal announcers running their mouths about how effin great their farm system is and that ours is only good because we lost 100 games twice. I will watch the rest with the sound muted. They add absolutely nothing to the broadcast except verbal vomit

37. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Today is a good test for the fringe players to face a real MLB starter in Adam Wainwright. Let's see how these guys do.

38. Steady Eddie - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

NL — when I got my email about Season "Ticket" shipment, it came from the Nats not FedEx, and the tracking number worked.On the other hand, the tracking said "delivery by 10:30 am" today, which didn't change until noon. Still waiting (though no biggie as I'm working at home today anyway and our FedEx or UPS deliveries don't generally get here until 2-3).

39. JD - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Ghost, Not great apparently.

40. baseballswami - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I have been feeling really down about not making spring training again this year. However – I sure am glad I did not pay a cent to attend today's game. Haren/Maya, et al. If Det and Gio are not going to be around for ST games, I want to see them play on TV again real soon. Hopefully ending up with a curly W after their names in the box score.

41. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

JD, Micah Owings is 2 for 2 against Wainwright. This guy is special and it will be interesting to see what happens with him.

42. JD - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Ghost, I think Owings will need to go down to Syracuse and put 100 – 200 at bats together before we can make a reasonable judgement about his potential as a hitter. He has looked good this spring and 2 for 2 against Wainright sure helps his cause.

43. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

JD, I saw him hit as a pitcher in the Majors. I'm convinced, he has always hit and that's for a guy who only swung it once every 5 days. Give him a few starts in a row.I think he has to go to AAA to get reps at 1st and LF.

44. Anna Peregrina - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

OK, that was weird. Gameday invented a run for the Nationals, scored by "unknown" on the groundout by Suzuki. Too bad this ghost runner didn't really exist! (They've taken the run away again now.)

45. Mac - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Eddie, check the tracking site again. Mine said delivery by 10:30 today too. I was getting ready to head out at 10:30 and no tickets yet, so I checked the tracking site again. It said "Delivery by 5:00 pm. ON SCHEDULE" I guess they're having Metro deliver FedEx packages now.For the record, the tickets showed up at my house around 1:00.

46. MicheleS - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM

GhostWalk up songshttp://districtsportspage.com/washington-nationals-walk-up-music-2012/10367

47. JD - Mar 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Ghost, Here is my concern. When you are a pitcher the opposition doesn't game plan to pitch to your weaknesses. That's why I want to see what happens when he is looked upon as a hitter not just a hitting pitcher.

48. NatsLady - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I got my box with the season "ticket" stuff. Been having tech problems with my 'puter all day.Anna, when that happens to me, go into task manager and stop the process called 'Nextdef'. I have no idea what it does, but my mlb.tv doesn't work unless I stop it.

49. Anna Peregrina - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Thanks, Natslady!

50. JD - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I thought at the beginning of spring training that a couple of players has an outside chance of challenging for positions. Specifically I thought that if Corey Brown had a great spring he might challenge Tracy or Bernadina and Rivero if he really excelled might challenge Lombo. With precious few opportunities left I would say that neither player has done much to further their cause and neither has much of a chance to make the big club. I never had much faith that Marrero will challenge for anything and Owings probably needs to play every day at AAA so I think we are back to having 24 positions all locked up and only the final bullpen spot is in question and even that is probably Henry's to lose.

51. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM

NatsLady and Anna, apparently that's a Known Issue:MLB.com and NextDef process

52. natsfan1a - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Also on a walk-up note, this is kinda cool, from last October. Walk-up music for pla-play-playoff teams.

53. Anna Peregrina - Mar 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Aha, Sofa. It's a feature!

54. BigCat - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Haren clocked at 86-87. I know speed isn't everything, but you better have movement and you better be on the edges. Obviously, he didn't have either today. I think Haren is a guy who has had a wonderful career, but right now he is flailing in deep water, ready to go under. I think he will be out of the rotation after 6-7 starts. Hope I'm wrong