Mar 15, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
JUPITER, Fla. — Though Christian Garcia's chances of making the Nationals' Opening Day roster already looked unrealistic because of a sprained wrist, Nationals manager Davey Johnson quashed any last-ditch hopes for the right-hander today.
"No possibility," Johnson said when asked if there was still a chance Garcia could come north with the club as a reliever.
Garcia hasn't appeared in any games this spring after experiencing soreness in his right wrist and lower forearm early in camp. He's been diagnosed with a sprained tendon and is scheduled to be examined by a specialist in Baltimore on Sunday.
Even if he's given the green light to resume throwing, Garcia won't have enough time to get his arm back into shape before the season opens April 1. Johnson said he'll almost certainly spend time on the disabled list and remain at extended spring training in Viera whileRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' starter to see Dr. James Andrews about injury
- New addition scratched from Nationals debut
- Scherzer debuts as Nats open exhibition play
- Mets' Wheeler: 'I guarantee you we all saw what Bryce Harper said'
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator