Mar 15, 2013, 8:04 PM EDT
JUPITER, Fla. — Though Christian Garcia's chances of making the Nationals' Opening Day roster already looked unrealistic because of a sprained wrist, Nationals manager Davey Johnson quashed any last-ditch hopes for the right-hander today.
"No possibility," Johnson said when asked if there was still a chance Garcia could come north with the club as a reliever.
Garcia hasn't appeared in any games this spring after experiencing soreness in his right wrist and lower forearm early in camp. He's been diagnosed with a sprained tendon and is scheduled to be examined by a specialist in Baltimore on Sunday.
Even if he's given the green light to resume throwing, Garcia won't have enough time to get his arm back into shape before the season opens April 1. Johnson said he'll almost certainly spend time on the disabled list and remain at extended spring training in Viera whileRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip