Mar 15, 2013, 4:06 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman is close to playing his first game at third base.
JUPITER, Fla. — Comfortable with how his surgically repaired right shoulder has progressed this spring, Ryan Zimmerman may push up his spring training debut at third base to Saturday.
Zimmerman was originally scheduled to take the field Monday against the Tigers, but manager Davey Johnson said the 28-year-old indicated he could be ready to go Saturday night against the Astros. Nationals rehab coordinator Steve Gober concurred, provided Zimmerman is able to get through today's workout in Viera with no issues.
"I guess I can't keep all these guys conservative," Johnson said. "They're being more aggressive than me."
Zimmerman has appeared in seven Grapefruit League games to date, serving as designated hitter each time. All the while, he's been building up arm strength following surgery in late-October to repair the sprained AC joint that plagued him throughout 2012.Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas