Mar 16, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez tossed five scoreless innings for Team USA on Tuesday.
VIERA, Fla. — Their run in the World Baseball Classic now over following the United States' 4-3, elimination loss to Puerto Rico last night, Gio Gonzalez and Ross Detwiler will return to Nationals camp today and shift their attention back to preparing for the regular season.
Both left-handers acquitted themselves well for Team USA. Gonzalez started on Tuesday against Puerto Rico and tossed five scoreless innings, allowing only three runners to reach base. Detwiler came out of the bullpen Saturday against Italy and churned out four scoreless innings, earning the save in the process.
And both hurlers spoke of the positive experience they got pitching in a high-pressure environment even though the calendar still reads March, experience that could prove helpful as this season plays out.
Now, though, both Gonzalez and Detwiler must work their way back into the Nationals' rotation and align themselves for the season'sRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?