Mar 16, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
Ross Detwiler rejoined the Nationals today after pitching in the WBC.
VIERA, Fla. — With Gio Gonzalez and Ross Detwiler set to rejoin the club following Team USA’s elimination from the World Baseball Classic, the Nationals are able to begin setting their starting rotation for the regular season.
Without fully confirming the order his five starters will pitch to open the season, manager Davey Johnson essentially revealed Stephen Strasburg will be followed by Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman, Dan Haren and Ross Detwiler.
The only moderate surprise there is the use of Haren in the No. 4 spot and Detwiler in the No. 5 spot. The two hurlers had been aligned the opposite way earlier this spring, fully breaking up the Nationals’ two left-handed starters.
Johnson, though, seems to be deferring to Haren’s veteran status in starting him ahead of Detwiler.
“It’s just basically we have him a little ahead of Det in experience,” the manager said.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth
- LaRoche hopes to be a National 'for the rest of my career'
- MLB announces World Series schedule