Mar 16, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
Ross Detwiler rejoined the Nationals today after pitching in the WBC.
VIERA, Fla. — With Gio Gonzalez and Ross Detwiler set to rejoin the club following Team USA’s elimination from the World Baseball Classic, the Nationals are able to begin setting their starting rotation for the regular season.
Without fully confirming the order his five starters will pitch to open the season, manager Davey Johnson essentially revealed Stephen Strasburg will be followed by Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman, Dan Haren and Ross Detwiler.
The only moderate surprise there is the use of Haren in the No. 4 spot and Detwiler in the No. 5 spot. The two hurlers had been aligned the opposite way earlier this spring, fully breaking up the Nationals’ two left-handed starters.
Johnson, though, seems to be deferring to Haren’s veteran status in starting him ahead of Detwiler.
“It’s just basically we have him a little ahead of Det in experience,” the manager said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins