Nats vs. Tigers – 3/17/13

Mar 17, 2013, 2:33 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler and the Nats visit Joker Marchant Stadium today.

LAKELAND, Fla. — If Ross Detwiler thought he would've faced an imposing lineup in the World Baseball Classic, he might actually face a tougher test this afternoon at Joker Marchant Stadium. Check out the starting nine for the defending AL champion Tigers, who will boast a 1-through-5 of Austin Jackson, Torii Hunter, Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez. This will be no cakewalk for Detwiler.

Davey Johnson didn't bring nearly as many regulars to Lakeland, though his lineup isn't completely bereft of big names. Bryce Harper is here, as are Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa and Kurt Suzuki. And we'll once again get a chance to see Micah Owings take some hacks and continue his impressive first spring as a position player.

Plenty of updates and analysis to come, so please check back…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. DETROIT TIGERS
Where: Joker Marchant Stadium, Lakeland
Gametime: 1:05 p.m. EDT
TV: None
Radio: Tigers radio via MLB Gameday Audio
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 74 degrees, Wind 8 mph out to LF

NATIONALS
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Steve Lombardozzi
CF Bryce Harper
RF Tyler Moore

Read more ยป

1. SpingfieldNatsFan1 - Mar 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

2. SonnyG10 - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

yea, I wish Charlie and Dave were broadcasting also. Too much Redskins on 106.7.

3. Gonat - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I think MicheleS is in the Lakelands today!

4. Gonat - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

SpingfieldNatsFan1 said… No broadcast on 106.7 on a Sunday against the Tigers? Are you kidding me? If we want his to be a baseball town that's unforgivable. March 17, 2013 10:55 AM _________________________________How's about MASN keeping up with the other MLB teams?

5. BigCat - Mar 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Marrero back in today. Gonna be interesting what happens with him and Owings

6. sjm308 - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM

BigCat – I think they both end up in Syracuse. Owings will play more outfield since I think Marrero is just a firstbaseman. You have Skole at AA so once again, we have decent depth at another position. I realize the naysayers are jumping on several of our lads right now but I think things will workout. As I remember, we did win 98 games last year which was more than anyone else. I don't see how we can't continue that this year. Rabbit, I love your comments but how do you see us dropping 17 games from last year to just becoming a .500 club? I would love to wager an imaginary or real beer on that.

7. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I AM HERE! Sitting behind home plate!

8. Section 222 - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Lucky Michele! As for the rest of us, 15 days before Opening Day and neither MASN nor whoever is responsible for Charlie and Dave sees fit to broadcast a weekend game against the defending AL champions. Yes, I know Strasburg isn't pitching, but this is pretty pathetic for a team that is supposedly going all the way. I'd be interested in a little reporting on who makes the broadcast schedule and what the thinking is behind having our guys cover only 6 of 12 days that the Nats play in the last two weeks of spring training.

9. Knoxville Nat - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Total off subject questions..1) Anyone know why Ramos has switched his uniforn number to 40? 2) Given the success of last season and the promise for more of the same in the near future, I am surprised that no business in the DC area has bought the naming rights to Nationals Park. Are the Nationals actively looking to sell these rights or are they restricted in some manner by the city government? I would think that someone like Mr. Marriott or others along those lines would have wanted their name on the stadium by now.

10. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Knoxville, the Nats have said all along they are in no rush to sell naming rights. I think they consider promoting their own brand more valuable for now. (I know, I know. Still.)

11. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Got the VIP visit from Mark. Always good to see him!

12. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

The Tigers aren't doing tv either. So there's that. Why *all* the late spring games aren't on the radio, however…

13. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Michele- no free media for us today. Please report the good stuff.

14. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Wow, even on a young team that's a young outfield today.

15. NatsNut - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Jesus told someone I know that after his injury he was convinced the number 3 was very unlucky for him and he changed it. When I saw that Ramos changed his number this year, I wondered if he caught that superstition too.

16. NatsNut - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I said this a week or so back, but I'm convinced that Micah Owings would *want* to play at AAA until he gets his position-player legs under him.

17. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Hunter tattooed that ball

18. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Chad looks skinnier and he has a baby face without the beard.

19. Mac - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM

"Seriously, is there a more shameless marketing ploy in sports than this?"Yes. NASCAR.

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Mac, NASCAR and the PGA. Way to go Michele! Enjoy the Joker!On naming rights, the Nats won't settle for chump change. It has always been available to a good partner and supposedly there was negative feedback in 2008 when Exxon Mobil offered $6 million a year.

21. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Miggy is chitping at the ump about the stike zone

22. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Wish I could have seen that!

23. Laddie Blah Blah - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM

TyMo goes deep!

24. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Love the merry-go-round on the bases right now. Four in this frame so far!

25. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I am having fun!!!

26. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Watching hits and double plays? Sounds like you are having lots of fun . We are watching vicariously through you!

27. natsfan1a - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM

haha, Moore does it again. The broadcaster can't believe it. :-)

28. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Tyler hit ball hard and far!

29. natsfan1a - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM

(That would be the Tigers broadcaster)

30. Anna Peregrina - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Having rashly decided to eat in a pub on St Paddy's Day, can't hear the Tigers radio anyway. Looks like TMo is in a groove.

31. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Espi has sat next to Eck all game

32. Laddie Blah Blah - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM

TyMo and Brown have had pedestrian STs, but both guys are streak hitters. Looks like TyMo is in his groove. Last year, Brown hit HRs in 5 consecutive games at Syracuse.I like both of those guys. They could hit 3-4 for a lot of teams.

33. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Doc, I looked it up on BING. I searched on "Werth human rain delay". Here is the quote from Werth.Welcoming Spanhttp://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/article/how_the_nats_are_welcoming_span/13110748?new_post=true

34. Dave - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Have any season-ticket holders tried to add partners yet?I have tried for the past 24 hours, and very little about the Red Carpet Rewards/Ultimate Ballpark Access site works. People new to the system can't get the requisite account number, people who are already partners with somebody else can't become partners with another person, games cannot be transferred.Anybody got some inspiring or informative advice?

35. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Get the towel back for Ryan Perry.

36. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Ryan Perry. Blech

37. Drew - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Mark and MicheleS:Please let us know if there's a Jeff Kobernus sighting. The Nats' former speedy 2b prospect, plucked by Detroit in the Rule 5 draft, reportedly is fighting to stick with the Tigers as a reserve outfielder.

38. slidell2 - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Dave- This does not bode well for those of us who are Neanderthals. (appropriate apologies in advance to the GEICO fellows)

39. NatsNut - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Dave,About the new season plan access care/account: I have both invited a partner to my account, and another group that I'm a member of invited me to their account successfully. It was very cool, and very easy, that the system let me have both accounts combined into the one site. They already told us that the other options (i.e., red carpet rewards) would come later. I think they are smart to roll that stuff out in stages. Get everyone set up first, get their partners set up, then worry about red carpet rewards and loading money, etc.

40. SonnyG10 - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

After listening to the Tiger's announcers, I think Ryan Perry does not have a future with our major league team. Need to trade him for someone useful.

41. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

That ball was crushed. Ryan not happy with ump

42. natsfan1a - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Did you bring cookies, Michele? Because it sounds like our guys are giving them out right now. :-)

43. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM

So, does Ryan have a dead arm or is he over thinking things? Not a good day for pitchers named Ryan– ERA circa one hundred.

44. natsfan1a - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Hey, Michele, can you give a "woo hoo" so we can hear you over the radio? (Maybe wait for a good Nats play.) :-)

45. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

They started the wave. UGHNo cookies. Didn't know Det was pitching today.

46. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Go, Onion!!!!!

47. natsfan1a - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Atta way!

48. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Is Sandy Leon playing? All I see is Solano and Maldanaldo as catchers.

49. SonnyG10 - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Man, I'm glad we lost out on the Teixeira sweepstakes a few years ago. His season is over now.

50. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Apparently Solsno is in left?

51. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:11 PM

That would be Solano.

52. Joe Seamhead - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM

MicheleS, ain't life grand?A couple days ago I went back and read the blog after last year's regular season opening day. There were over 400 posts.Many bloggers were all for throwing ALR under the bus after that first game. Some were quite nasty and brutal.They were, as it turns out, all wrong. This year the Legion of Doom will have short fuses for Denard. I think that they will be wrong, too.

53. natsfan1a - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Atta way to strand 'em, Clip.

54. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Aw, Clip lost his perfect WHIP… LOL the Tigers announcers can't figure out what pitch he threw to get the strikeout–forkball? Splitter?

55. MicheleS - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Kobernus is coming up

56. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM

According to the Tigers announcers, not only is Solano playing LF but the Nats have (sob!) lost the DH. The DH rules are little complicated for my poor little head to comprehend.

57. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Kobernus just got an RBI single. 12-10… Lucky the Nats are "getting serious." Was that only one post ago?

58. baseballswami - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The ball certainly found Solano out there.

59. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Wow, Michele, you sure got your money's worth. An "epic battle…" (per the Tigers' announcers).

60. natsfan1a - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:35 PM

See-saw, anyone?

61. Dave - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM

NatsNut, I'm glad the system worked for you, but it's not working for my partners.You seem to have already had an MLB.com account set up before you began; and also it seems like you are both a season-ticket holder of record and an invited partner in another group.But for people who are new to MLB.com, or for non-ticketholders-of-record trying to become partners to two different ticket plans, it's not working at all.Moreover, as far as I can tell, games cannot yet actually be transferred to a partner. If I am missing something, I don't know what, since I have tried it about a half-dozen times with the only successfully-registered partner in my group. I click all the requisite buttons, including "Distribute tickets," and nothing sticks.Latest emails I get from my MLB.com-newbie partners are revealing roadblocks in the early steps of the registration process–never mind transferring tickets.None of us are trying to Red Carpet Rewards points or loading cash yet. I understood clearly from the website that these are not available yet.Very interested to see whether anybody else–either a ticketholder-of-record or an invited partner–has had problems with the new Red Card ticketing system.

62. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I haven't tried yet, I've had computer problems since Friday (which is also why no blog posts), and am trying to get that straightened out. One think I don't like is that they didn't send you a list of the dates you have for your plan–since you have no tickets, a hardcopy list would have been nice if I want to exchange or buy single game tickets.

63. Laddie Blah Blah - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Jhonaton Solano in LF? What, Nook Logan wasn't available?

64. Drew - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Mark, MicheleS and NatsLady:Thanks for the Kobernus update.It will be interesting to see if Kobernus sticks with the Tigers and Danny Rosenbaum makes it as a long man in the Colorado pen. If they don't stay with the big league clubs all year, they'll be offered back to the Nats.

65. sjm308 - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Dave: as terrible as I am with computers you now have me worried. I am supposed to get the package tomorrow and am very nervous about trying to move games around in our group. I guess the worst that can happen is I go down to Nationals Park and have my rep do it for me.Go Nats!!

66. Dave - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

sjm308, I truly believe the system is not yet operating as it should. My partners are having problems just setting up their accounts, and for the one guy who got it set up, I can't move games to his account.It's probably not ready for primetime, and the servers are probably also slammed with traffic.As the ticket-office switchboard will be tomorrow, no doubt. I know I'll be calling during my lunch hour.

67. Dave - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

sjm308, let me also say, though, that it looks like once the ticket-partner thing works properly, the interface for moving tickets around is not too forbidding. I'm able to see clearly where I click on a game (on a calendar) and move it to the color-coded partner who should get it. It just doesn't stay there once I do that.

68. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

You know Clip is bored if he's working on a forkball… :)

69. NatsLady - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Drew, a few days ago I saw Tigers' blog posts that they like Kobernus a lot over there.

70. NatsNut - Mar 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Dave,Did you click on your partner's name before clicking on the date? I just distributed a game to my partner with no problems. I clicked on her name first, then just clicked the date.

71. Dave - Mar 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yep, NN, tried that. After I do that the site says I have not distributed any tickets. No tickets remain assigned to that partner. Not working.Incidentally, the reason that particular partner was able to register was that he already had a Nationals account number (from an early season ticket he earned) before he started the signup process. Nobody else has had any success.

72. sjm308 - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM

73. NatsNut - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:45 AM

74. Steady Eddie - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Dave — I'm just guessing, but I suspect the transfers won't be available until your partners receive AND ACTIVATE their cards. In other words there has to be a live partner account to send the games to.But this doesn't leave a great deal of time to get the cards to partners and start the process.

75. Dave - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Steady Eddie, now that you say that, I think you might be right. That sounds like something a ticket rep told me at Nats Fest.But you're right, there's not much time left. And my partners still don't seem to be able to properly engage their email invitations like they're supposed to.Bafflement.

76. natsfan1a - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

77. natsfan1a - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Boy, I really botched the transfer on that cut-and-paste job. Time for more coffee.Good job, NN. Don't worry, sjm. I don't have experience with that but I'll bet your rep or somebody here will be able to help you work it out.NatsNut said… sjm308, If 1a were here I think she might tell you to breathe through your eyelids like the Mayans. Or Aztecs. Sorry, Dave. I guess I'm out of ideas. Good luck! March 17, 2013 8:45 PM sjm308 said… So, I obviously have a nationals account # but doubt if I have a mlb account. Can't wait till tomorrow to get all stressed out. Will have to hope that natsfana1a can keep me calm. March 17, 2013 7:29 PM

78. natsfan1a - Mar 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Actually, I do have an mlb.com account, but I'm not a STH and don't have experience with the new STH ticketing system.