Mar 17, 2013, 9:08 PM EST
USA Today Sports Images
Tyler Moore and others could have a tough time getting at-bats this year.
LAKELAND, Fla. — There’s a good side and a bad side to fielding a talent-laden lineup with regulars who all deserve to play every day. The good side: That deep lineup is capable of putting up big numbers on a daily basis. The bad side: It leaves precious few opportunities for reserves to get enough at-bats to stay fresh.
For a veteran like Chad Tracy, who has modeled himself into one of the game’s best pinch-hitting specialists, it’s not that big of a deal. But for young bench players like Tyler Moore and Steve Lombardozzi, it can be more complicated.
So, is it going to be tough to keep all those guys fresh when there aren’t obvious opportunities to work them into the lineup?
“Yes. If everybody’s doing the things I know they’re capable of doing, yes,” manager Davey Johnson admitted. “But it’s what they pay me to do: Try to keep them all sharp.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Rivero build off strong rookie year?
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?