Mar 17, 2013, 2:26 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg threw a spring training-high 93 pitches tonight.
VIERA, Fla. — Davey Johnson gets his reputation as a "players' manager" because of the way he lets his veterans take care of themselves, trusting them to prepare at their own pace and not have to work too hard during spring training.
And that philosophy has won over multiple generations of ballplayers who laud the 70-year-old skipper for it.
"Not that you aren't going to play hard," Ryan Zimmerman said, "but I think you really want to do well for somebody that respects you and takes care of you and pretty much does everything he can to put you in a position to succeed."
Johnson does reserve the right to, as he puts it, "crack the whip" for one week near the end of spring training. And that week is about to arrive. Starting Monday, Johnson plans to make another round of roster cuts and then play all his regulars on a daily basis, having them go the full nine innings several times (including hisRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug