Mar 18, 2013, 4:00 AM EDT
Ross Detwiler tossed four strong innings against the Tigers.
LAKELAND, Fla. — The Nationals' 12-9 victory over the Tigers earlier today was a wild affair, with both teams exchanging blows most of the afternoon before the Nats finally prevailed thanks in large part to Tyler Moore's two home runs.
Aside from those blasts, though, the two most interesting developments of the day probably were Ross Detwiler's return to the mound for the first time since pitching in the World Baseball Classic and Jhonatan Solano's surprise appearance in left field for the eighth and ninth innings.
Let's start with Detwiler, who nine days after tossing four scoreless innings of relief for Team USA in a win over Italy picked up right where he left off. Getting the start against Detroit's fearsome lineup, the left-hander impressed over the course of four innings. His only mistake: a first-inning homer by Torii Hunter that cleared the berm beyond the left-field fence, though Detwiler insisted itRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws