After strong start, decision time for Young

Mar 20, 2013, 9:42 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Right-hander Chris Young tossed five scoreless innings against the Marlins.

JUPITER, Fla. — Chris Young knows he has a decision to make this weekend. And he knows what his choice will be, if presented with the opportunity to opt out of his minor-league contract with the Nationals and sign a major-league deal with another club.

"I do feel like I'm a big-league pitcher," the veteran right-hander said. "To turn down a big-league opportunity to go to Triple-A is probably not in my best interest. If I'm weighing Triple-A options, this would be at the top of my list. If I'm comparing a big-league opportunity to a Triple-A option, I think you guys would all do the same thing."

If Young was hoping to make a late push to convince another team he's good enough to start in the majors come April, he certainly picked an opportune time to do it this afternoon at Roger Dean Stadium. He tossed five scoreless innings against the Marlins,Read more ยป

1. Gonat - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM

He really did pick a good time to pitch well. I believe he's the Nats best #6 option. Zach Duke just hasn't shown anything this Spring and Ryan Perry has shown less. What are the other choices? Stamman and Maya. Bleh.

2. SonnyG10 - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:09 PM

After today, it seems to me there is a good chance he will get an offer from another club. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

3. Gonat - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM

SonnyG10, same here but there could also be others in the same situation.Chien-Ming Wang worked out for the Yankees but they aren't willing to give him a MLB deal. Seems nobody is stupid enough to do that (kidding of course)

4. Theophilus T. S. - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I would think there wouldn't be much of a market for a pitcher who can't throw harder than R.A. Dickey — and doesn't have a knuckler.

5. timeless46 - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Why do I think we will really miss Gorzelanny

6. Theophilus T. S. - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I guess we'll know how much Gorzelanny is missed when we see how Duke et al do. The 2012 Gorzelanny was pretty good; the 2011 version OK but not memorable. The way the reliever market went I'm just as happy the Nats won't have to kick themselves at the end of the season for giving a two-year deal to someone who couldn't pitch well three years in a row.

7. Theophilus T. S. - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM

If Burnett doesn't start doing better for the Angels we may find we don't miss him either.

8. realdealnats - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Any way Chris Young goes to the pen as a long reliever for Duke? I know it leaves us with no left handed relievers but everyone seems to be saying it doesn't really matter anyway.

9. John C. - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Tom Gorzelanny was really really good last year as long as it really really didn't matter. I had this as a general impression, and after he left I went and looked it up. If you look at his stats on Baseball Reference, you will see that the closer the game, the higher the OPS he surrendered. In "late & close" situations he gave up an .822 OPS; .823 in a tie game. As the score diverged, for 1, 2, 3, 4, or >4 runs, the opponent OPS was .804, .794, .790, .765, .587. When the Nats were more than four runs ahead or behind, Gorzelanny was lights. out. Splits of .211/.291/.296. But when the game was hanging in the balance he was eminently hittable.

10. John C. - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM

So, in short, I disagree with timeless46, and shan't miss Gorzelanny at all in 2013.

11. baseballswami - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Bullpens are a strange alchemy. Hanrahan was so-so here, great in Pittsburgh. Capps was great here and now is out of a job. It's got to be the toughest aspect of a team to build and count on. Cross your fingers and toes and hope for the best.

12. sjm308 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I have long supported Henry and had hope against hope that he would right the ship. It is becoming clearer to me that the ship has a pretty big leak. My question is: People have always said that as soon as we try and send him down someone will gamble and scoop him up. Would they still do that the way he has pitched this spring and last year? If we can get him through waivers and keep him in AAA to once again hopefully refine his talents at least it does not hurt the big club. I am already gearing up to not seeing him this spring in DC. If he is moved, would they move Young to the bullpen or is he basically a starter no matter what?Thanks as always.

13. Gonat - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:19 AM

sjm308, yes, someone will scoop up Henry and try to teach him to be a pitcher. It probably won't work. His problem is in his head unfortunately.

14. baseballswami - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I still say they find a way to start him on the DL one more time. Check his teeth. Or maybe his buttocks. Got to be something amiss.

15. baseballswami - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Whose buttocks did we pray for? I can't remember. Bowden era.

16. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Jesus Colume. "We pray for his family, and his buttocks," Bowden said.

17. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:52 AM

*Colome

18. Gonat - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:27 AM

Only JimBo!

19. baseballswami - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Ah, the bad old days…

20. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Nats at Disney World today!

21. Gonat - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM

baseballswami said… Ah, the bad old days…___________________________The good old days when you consider 3 years ago a pitcher like Chris Young would come here and be the #3 pitcher and today he doesn't have a chance at being the #5 pitcher.That's called progress.

22. Rabbit34 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Big mistake on Young's part if he moves on. It won't be long before he is pitching in place of our of the starters.

23. Section 135 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

If Rizzo is serious about winning then Henry should be on his last legs. He has shown over and over again that he is who he is, an inconsistent , wild, headcase who can't help a team trying to win. I would rather risk losing Henry than Young, who may still work well out of the pen, provides insurance and seems to be a good clubhouse guy. I can;t think of any scenario other than a blowout where Henry could help this team. He single-handedly lost at least 3 games last year. Let him go.

24. Tcostant - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Seems like Rizzo blew it on one front. I understand the opt-out for a major league deal, but the interesting part of this Young say he can sign a minor league deal elsewhere. If a team says to him come to the minors now and once the early off days are over will bring you up, then he will be gone. Rizzo should have made the opt-out clause for only a mahjor league contract.

25. blovy8 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM

There are a lot of bad teams where he would start, but I also think Young could get a decent offer from the Rangers if they're tired of Detroit wanting too much for Porcello.

26. TimDz - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Rabbit34….Your handle would be better served if you changed it to Donkey34…as in Eeyore…

27. John C. - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Tim, as tempting as it is, please don't feed the trolls :)

28. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Rizzo should have made the opt-out clause for only a mahjor league contract. And then put a gun to Young's head and said "Sign the [AB] paper, Martin, or you're dead!"I wonder, would that work?

29. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I think Young, if we can take what he's quoted as saying at face value, would take Syracuse over another AAA gig, unless the pay was much better, or the promise of a call-up included, for instance, another opt-out if he's not up by, say, May 1. He can read the same stuff we can–he knows the odds of getting called up here are good, but not sure.

30. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

As was already pointed out, Vegas odds don't predict baseball, they predict how people will bet on baseball. That said, how's their track record at predicting finishes? Anybody know?

31. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

And FWIW, just before the season starts, and when the numbers are released, is the only time you'd ever bring this up. And it's as worthwhile a topic as any on a slow day in spring training on a baseball blog.

32. natsfan1a - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

OT but this thread is old anyway, I love your new pic, sec3. It makes me happy. That is all.