Mar 20, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Rafael Soriano is next scheduled to pitch on Friday.
JUPITER, Fla. — Nationals closer Rafael Soriano is dealing with a tooth issue that could delay his return to the mound, manager Davey Johnson said today.
Soriano is currently scheduled to appear Friday against the Tigers, but that outing could be pushed back if the right-hander needs a procedure to address what Johnson described as “a little infection” of the wisdom tooth.
“I think from the X-rays they saw, it could be a problem,” Johnson said prior to the Nationals’ game against the Marlins. “He could need to have a root canal or something, I don’t know, further examination from the X-ray. He hasn’t complained or anything, but that’s something you always look at.”
Soriano was in his native Dominican Republic yesterday (an off-day for the Nationals) dealing with a family issue, but he was scheduled to return to Viera today.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5