Mar 20, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Rafael Soriano is next scheduled to pitch on Friday.
JUPITER, Fla. — Nationals closer Rafael Soriano is dealing with a tooth issue that could delay his return to the mound, manager Davey Johnson said today.
Soriano is currently scheduled to appear Friday against the Tigers, but that outing could be pushed back if the right-hander needs a procedure to address what Johnson described as “a little infection” of the wisdom tooth.
“I think from the X-rays they saw, it could be a problem,” Johnson said prior to the Nationals’ game against the Marlins. “He could need to have a root canal or something, I don’t know, further examination from the X-ray. He hasn’t complained or anything, but that’s something you always look at.”
Soriano was in his native Dominican Republic yesterday (an off-day for the Nationals) dealing with a family issue, but he was scheduled to return to Viera today.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg departs in 2nd inning with new ailment
- Strasburg leaves after 16 pitches, Reds beat Nationals 5-2
- Rendon resumes rehab, plays 7 innings at AA
- Strasburg back on mound for key start in Cincy
- How will Nats compensate for Werth's absence?
- Mark Zuckerman on Jayson Werth's unfortunate injury news
- MLB Power Rankings: Astros, Twins are early season surprises
- Werth could be out months after new test results on left wrist
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Al Galdi and Daniel Shiferaw
- Stars shine in Nats' 9th straight series win