Soriano dealing with tooth issue

Mar 20, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Rafael Soriano is next scheduled to pitch on Friday.

JUPITER, Fla. — Nationals closer Rafael Soriano is dealing with a tooth issue that could delay his return to the mound, manager Davey Johnson said today.

Soriano is currently scheduled to appear Friday against the Tigers, but that outing could be pushed back if the right-hander needs a procedure to address what Johnson described as “a little infection” of the wisdom tooth.

“I think from the X-rays they saw, it could be a problem,” Johnson said prior to the Nationals’ game against the Marlins. “He could need to have a root canal or something, I don’t know, further examination from the X-ray. He hasn’t complained or anything, but that’s something you always look at.”

Soriano was in his native Dominican Republic yesterday (an off-day for the Nationals) dealing with a family issue, but he was scheduled to return to Viera today.

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

If memory serves, this happened a few years ago with another player. Was it Bernadina?

2. ehay2k - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM

He has to see a Dr. in the DR? no good tooth pullers in Florida?

3. SonnyG10 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM

ehay2k said…He has to see a Dr. in the DR? no good tooth pullers in Florida?March 20, 2013 12:52 PMProbably taking care of family issue and tooth at same time.

4. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

His "family matter" probably consisted of being home for the national celebration of th DR's WBC victory.

5. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

If it is a wisdom tooth, that could be more problematic than other molars. If they have to take all four, he might be out for more than a few days.

6. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Ghost, Bernadina did have a tooth thing around the time of that bench-clearing brawl with the Cardinals in Spring Training 2011 IIRC. I tried to look it up to confirm, but got distracted by all the Nyjer Morgan discussions.

7. ehay2k - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Sorry, missed that. I hope that his DR dentist isn't a PED purveyor. Having Manny-being-Priscilla flashbacks just thinking about it.

8. Don - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Just makes me think of the Nats not catching an infection for another DR ball player, Yewri Guillen, not long ago. I hope that they've improved the DR camp considerably on the health/training front by now.

9. SCNatsFan - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

sec3, I'm an oral surgeon(really). No reason to have all 4 out right now, he can just have the one. Depending on the difficulty he could be back anywhere from that afternoon to 4 days.

10. Tcostant - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I love Davey, but he shouldn't be looking at player's tooth x-rays. Who does he think he is, Jim Zorn?

11. SonnyG10 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Just got an email saying my ticket pkg was picked up by Fed-Ex in Calgary, Ab. I guess they didn't forget me after all.

12. sjm308 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Amazing to me how people read into things that are not actually said. Nowhere does Mark say that Soriano is going to the DR to deal with his tooth. He was there dealing with a family issue. I am pretty certain his tooth will be taken care of when he returns.

13. Mac - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM

My teeth are part of my family. Therefore tooth issue = family issue. YMMV.

14. sjm308 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Love Davey's quote in the Times "we'll play it by tooth". Soriano is back with the team and will have the procedure done tomorrow.

15. NCNatsie - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Is nitrous oxide a PED?

16. Tcostant - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Anyone who got shutout (punn intended) of Opening Day tickets, the Nationals just released more Standing Room tickets on their website.

17. Noirelune - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM

18. ehay2k - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Mark said "…Soriano is dealing with a tooth issue…" and that he was in the DR. Unless the tooth issue took root on the plane, it stood to reason he'd get it taken care of in the DR. That was my take, anyway.

19. natsfan1a - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Well, I'm pulling for him, whatever happens. What?

20. Doc - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Soriano was supposed to put some bite into the bullpen—now that's in doubt!Nats' fans are going to have a hard time smiling about this!

21. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:26 AM

SCNatsfan, thanks for weighing in with the science. I thought they had to pull molars in pairs, at least, to match up. (Maybe I don't need to put off that work after all?)I do know that flying in a pressurized cabin with a bad tooth can be *really* problematic, as in "hurts like a m…"