Soriano has root canal

Mar 21, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images
Rafael Soriano should be able to pitch tomorrow as scheduled.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Nationals closer Rafael Soriano had root canal this afternoon to take care of an infected tooth, but manager Davey Johnson said he expects the veteran reliever to pitch as scheduled Friday against the Tigers.

"A toothache never hurt anybody from pitching, as far as I know," Johnson said prior to the Nationals' exhibition game against the Braves. "I'm sure he's probably fine."

Johnson wasn't sure yet of the extent of Soriano's procedure but doesn't believe it was serious.

"He should be fine," the manager said. "I think it was just in the early stages and they were worried about it becoming an abscess or something during the year. So they nipped it in the bud."Read more »

1. waddu eye no - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM

ow.

2. SonnyG10 - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

As Sam Huff used to say, just rub some black salve on it and he'll be ok.

3. John C. - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Having had a root canal, I don't envy Mr. Soriano the experience. He should be able to bounce back from it pretty quickly though. Geaux Nats!

4. baseballswami - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yay! Nats on TV!!!!

5. Candide - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I've had a couple of root canals, and they're not at all painful if done right.Except in the wallet. But I doubt that's a problem for Soriano.

6. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Insurance. And pain management is indeed much improved, IME.

7. DL in VA - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

8. Natman - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Soriano: "I'm a reliever. I laugh in the face of pain."