Mar 21, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Rafael Soriano should be able to pitch tomorrow as scheduled.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Nationals closer Rafael Soriano had root canal this afternoon to take care of an infected tooth, but manager Davey Johnson said he expects the veteran reliever to pitch as scheduled Friday against the Tigers.
"A toothache never hurt anybody from pitching, as far as I know," Johnson said prior to the Nationals' exhibition game against the Braves. "I'm sure he's probably fine."
Johnson wasn't sure yet of the extent of Soriano's procedure but doesn't believe it was serious.
"He should be fine," the manager said. "I think it was just in the early stages and they were worried about it becoming an abscess or something during the year. So they nipped it in the bud."Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent