Mar 22, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
J.C. Romero posted a 3.86 ERA for Puerto Rico in the WBC.
VIERA, Fla. — Ever in search of a left-handed specialist who could help them at some point this season, the Nationals have signed veteran reliever J.C. Romero to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp.
Romero will be in uniform tomorrow and pitch against the Mets in Port St. Lucie, but general manager Mike Rizzo made it clear the 36-year-old won’t make the Opening Day roster.
“I don’t feel that’s realistic,” Rizzo said. “It’s been conveyed to him that we don’t feel it’s realistic. He’ll go to the minor leagues and perform down there, and if he can help us down the road, we’ll go grab him.”
Rizzo likened Romero’s signing to last year’s acquisition of Michael Gonzalez, who spent a month at Class AAA Syracuse and then became a key member of the Nationals’ bullpen straight through the postseason.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy