Mar 22, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
J.C. Romero posted a 3.86 ERA for Puerto Rico in the WBC.
VIERA, Fla. — Ever in search of a left-handed specialist who could help them at some point this season, the Nationals have signed veteran reliever J.C. Romero to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp.
Romero will be in uniform tomorrow and pitch against the Mets in Port St. Lucie, but general manager Mike Rizzo made it clear the 36-year-old won’t make the Opening Day roster.
“I don’t feel that’s realistic,” Rizzo said. “It’s been conveyed to him that we don’t feel it’s realistic. He’ll go to the minor leagues and perform down there, and if he can help us down the road, we’ll go grab him.”
Rizzo likened Romero’s signing to last year’s acquisition of Michael Gonzalez, who spent a month at Class AAA Syracuse and then became a key member of the Nationals’ bullpen straight through the postseason.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to stay red-hot in Atlanta
- Nats Stock Watch: Rotation continuing to dominate
- Nats cruise to 9th straight win over Braves
- Zimmermann sharp as Nationals beat Braves again, 6-1
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching