Mar 22, 2013, 3:16 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
J.C. Romero posted a 3.86 ERA for Puerto Rico in the WBC.
VIERA, Fla. — Ever in search of a left-handed specialist who could help them at some point this season, the Nationals have signed veteran reliever J.C. Romero to a minor-league contract with an invitation to big-league camp.
Romero will be in uniform tomorrow and pitch against the Mets in Port St. Lucie, but general manager Mike Rizzo made it clear the 36-year-old won’t make the Opening Day roster.
“I don’t feel that’s realistic,” Rizzo said. “It’s been conveyed to him that we don’t feel it’s realistic. He’ll go to the minor leagues and perform down there, and if he can help us down the road, we’ll go grab him.”
Rizzo likened Romero’s signing to last year’s acquisition of Michael Gonzalez, who spent a month at Class AAA Syracuse and then became a key member of the Nationals’ bullpen straight through the postseason.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals