Ramos, Storen and a surprise knuckleball

Mar 22, 2013, 1:00 PM EST

USA Today Sports Images
Ryan Zimmerman tags out Andrelton Simmons on a stolen base attempt.

VIERA, Fla. — More news and notes from last night's game against the Braves in Lake Buena Vista…

Wilson Ramos was absolutely beaming afterward, having successfully caught his first full game since tearing the ACL in his right knee about 10 months ago. This really was the final hurdle for Ramos to cross in his recovery. He clearly sees himself as 100 percent back from the injury.

"If I say that, anybody can believe it, but I feel better than before I got hurt," he said. "I feel more strong, I feel more alive behind the plate. I'm blocking the ball pretty good. I feel very strong behind the plate. I'm very excited for this moment."

Ramos showed off his arm during the bottom of the first inning, firing a laser to nab Andrelton Simmons trying to steal third base (though replies showed Simmons may have slid around RyanRead more ยป

1. Doc - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Actually, Davey,,Einstein had one great breaking ball called "The Theory of Relativity"–he was able to bend light with it! LOL

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Warms my heart on all the positives on Ramos. I think at this point I would surprised if Ramos wasn't starting April 1st.

3. MicheleS - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Mark's right, besides the hit DRUUU gave up to the Terd, he looked really good, so no worries there. So happy for Wilson, after all that he has gone through, you know he just wants to play

4. NatsLady - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

"replies" = "replays" maybe? BTW, what is the status of replays for this season?

5. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM

From the previous post, MicheleS glad you experienced exactly what the batter sees. A true breaking pitch can be seen clearly from very few seats. If you were 10 seats to your left, different perspective. That's why scouts are usually sitting in your area a few rows back.The same can be sitting in the outfield behind the CF and watching their jumps.MicheleS, I think that same seat in Nats Park is $350.

6. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM

SI saying Lohse looking for a Dempster type deal roughly 2 years $26.5 mill. Big difference from 3 yrs at $45 mill. The Orioles should be all over that!

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Rizzo signs JC Romero. That wasn't the big surprise I was expecting.

8. Tcostant - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I called for this move (on these boards) after watching Romero pitch in the WBC. Great move!!!http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/22/nationals-sign-j-c-romero-to-minor-league-deal/

9. Mac - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

JC Romero. Seems I have heard that name mentioned here recently, haven't I?

10. peric - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Keep the weight down low Wilson. Never forget you have solid competition behind the plate in Mr. Suzuki. Keep the weight down just like he does. You'll still generate lots of power from your lower body … keep to the diet, eat healthy throughout the season. Its literally worth millions to you.

11. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Are the Nats looking for a new Clint?

12. Section 222 - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

JC Romero was a National for 16 days in 2011 — signed as a free agent on June 28, released on July 13. Welcome back!

13. Laddie Blah Blah - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I was watching Espinoza. Somehow, he appears to be seeing the ball much better, and laying off most of those pitches way out of the zone. His LH bat has been dialed back, and he looks more like a contact hitter than a go-for-broke swinger.When he came to bat from the right side, later in the game, he looked like the same old Danny, swinging for the fences, until he got to 2 strikes (both swinging). He then dialed back that swing and timed a pitch over the outside part of the plate and hit an RBI liner to CF. He looked like Ryan up there, but he hit the ball to CF instead of to RF.Very encouraging signs from Espinoza, although a very small sample. If he continues to hit with that same approach, especially from the left side, he is going to be a much more productive hitter this year than last, especially in special situations, like a guy on 3rd and less than 2 outs. The contact hitter we saw yesterday will drive that man in, while the old free-swinger of last year usually struck out or popped up.Keep it up, Mr. Espinoza. We are all rooting for you.

14. Section 222 - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Are the Nats looking for a new Clint?Sure sounds like it. Nice scoop Sofa!

15. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Sec222, I think Romero was stashed in AAA and then got out of his deal on an opt out clause.

16. Section 222 - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Ghost, exactly. He had five appearances with Syracuse. When he didn't get a callup, he bolted. But he only had 11 appearances with the Cards and 5 with the Orioles last year, along with 25 minor league appearances. If he'll play in Syracuse as H-Rod insurance, that wouldn't be a bad thing, especially since he's a lefty, but I'm not expecting a lot from him at this point. He'll be 37 in June, and hasn't been particularly effective since 2010.

17. peric - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM

His LH bat has been dialed back, and he looks more like a contact hitter than a go-for-broke swinger.That's can happen when you lose a rotator cuff. He'll be batting in front of the catcher initially so …

18. Navy Nats Fan - Mar 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Sofa, 222, they are looking for a new Clint, but it's not a scoop – Steinberg wrote about it 3 days ago:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/03/19/clint-khoury-will-have-lesser-role-at-nats-games-in-2013/

19. UnkyD - Mar 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Laddie… Is there an Insider joke about spelling Espinosa's name with a "z", of which I'm unaware?