Mar 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper jammed his left hand on an inside pitch yesterday.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Bryce Harper was scratched from the Nationals’ lineup against the Mets today after getting jammed by an inside pitch during yesterday’s game against the Tigers.
Manager Davey Johnson said Harper’s left thumb was swollen after he lined a fourth-inning slider from Detroit’s Drew Smyly into right field for a single. He was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons.
Harper was scheduled to make the trip to Port St. Lucie and bat third in today’s game against New York, but Johnson informed the 20-year-old outfielder this morning he was being held back in Viera.
“I scratched him,” the manager said.
Johnson said he’s not worried about the extent of the injury and said he expects Harper to return to the lineup tomorrow when the Nationals face the Braves.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic