Mar 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper jammed his left hand on an inside pitch yesterday.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Bryce Harper was scratched from the Nationals’ lineup against the Mets today after getting jammed by an inside pitch during yesterday’s game against the Tigers.
Manager Davey Johnson said Harper’s left thumb was swollen after he lined a fourth-inning slider from Detroit’s Drew Smyly into right field for a single. He was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons.
Harper was scheduled to make the trip to Port St. Lucie and bat third in today’s game against New York, but Johnson informed the 20-year-old outfielder this morning he was being held back in Viera.
“I scratched him,” the manager said.
Johnson said he’s not worried about the extent of the injury and said he expects Harper to return to the lineup tomorrow when the Nationals face the Braves.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?