Mar 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper jammed his left hand on an inside pitch yesterday.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Bryce Harper was scratched from the Nationals’ lineup against the Mets today after getting jammed by an inside pitch during yesterday’s game against the Tigers.
Manager Davey Johnson said Harper’s left thumb was swollen after he lined a fourth-inning slider from Detroit’s Drew Smyly into right field for a single. He was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons.
Harper was scheduled to make the trip to Port St. Lucie and bat third in today’s game against New York, but Johnson informed the 20-year-old outfielder this morning he was being held back in Viera.
“I scratched him,” the manager said.
Johnson said he’s not worried about the extent of the injury and said he expects Harper to return to the lineup tomorrow when the Nationals face the Braves.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win