Mar 23, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper jammed his left hand on an inside pitch yesterday.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Bryce Harper was scratched from the Nationals’ lineup against the Mets today after getting jammed by an inside pitch during yesterday’s game against the Tigers.
Manager Davey Johnson said Harper’s left thumb was swollen after he lined a fourth-inning slider from Detroit’s Drew Smyly into right field for a single. He was pulled from the game for precautionary reasons.
Harper was scheduled to make the trip to Port St. Lucie and bat third in today’s game against New York, but Johnson informed the 20-year-old outfielder this morning he was being held back in Viera.
“I scratched him,” the manager said.
Johnson said he’s not worried about the extent of the injury and said he expects Harper to return to the lineup tomorrow when the Nationals face the Braves.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs