Mar 23, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
Kobernus had been trying to make Detroit's Opening Day roster as a utilityman and had received more playing time than almost anyone else in the Tigers' camp. But he hit just .220 (11-for-50) with a .291 on-base percentage and was likely beaten out by outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo (who homered twice against the Nationals this week) for the final spot on the Opening Day bench.
Per Rule 5 draft regulations, the Tigers were required to pass Kobernus through waivers and then give the Nationals the option of re-acquiring him (in exchange for $25,000 of the original $50,000 spent to draft him). General manager Dave Dombrowski told reporters he attempted to work out a trade with counterpart Mike Rizzo, but the Nationals wanted the 24-year-old back in theirRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start