Mar 23, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals are back at Tradition Field this afternoon.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Having cracked the whip on his starters over the last three days, Davey Johnson will ease up a bit today at Tradition Field. Most of the regulars got the day off, but we'll still see Bryce Harper, Danny Espinosa and Wilson Ramos here this afternoon against the Mets.
We'll also see Roger Bernadina making his first start of the spring in center field. The Shark, fresh off a 20,000-mile journey around the world during the WBC, made a fantastic catch late in yesterday's game, so he doesn't appear to be rusty at all. Espinosa, meanwhile, will get a rare start at shortstop. (Johnson plans to use him there this season if Ian Desmond needs a day off.)
Gio Gonzalez gets the start, his first against a big-league team since he mowed down the Puerto Rican lineup in the WBC (he faced minor-leaguers last time out). Like Stephen Strasburg yesterday, this will be Gonzalez's final full-scale tune-up before the season begins; he'll get one more start next week, but he'll be capped at about 70 pitches.
[UPDATE AT 11:40 A.M. — Lineup change for the Nats: Bryce Harper was scratched after getting jammed on a pitch yesterday. His left thumb is swollen. Davey said it's not serious and that Harper will be back in the lineup tomorrow. Carlos Rivero will start in his place.]
Plenty of updates to come, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS vs. NEW YORK METS
Where: Tradition Field, Port St. Lucie
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EST
TV: MLB.tv (live), MLB Network (delayed at 12 a.m.)
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM)
Weather: Partly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 15 mph out to LF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Danny Espinosa
1B Tyler Moore
3B Chad Tracy
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more
- Past failures fuel Barrett to bounce back
- Phillies lose to Division II baseball team in spring exhibition
- Live BP features Scherzer, broken bat, anthem
- Marlins ace Fernandez takes big step in Tommy John recovery
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF