Mar 23, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez allowed one run over six strong innings today.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — With few regular position players making the trip, Bryce Harper scratched due to a swollen left thumb and a bunch of guys from minor league camp brought up for the day to fill out the roster, there wasn't quite the same intensity to the Nationals' 3-1 loss to the Mets today as there had been in other games earlier this week.
Which isn't to say there weren't still some interesting developments. Such as…
Gio Gonzalez looked sharp during his six-inning start and penultimate appearance of the spring. The left-hander allowed one run on four hits, struck out three, walked one and threw 85 pitches on a warm, 89-degree afternoon at Tradition Field.
Gonzalez was pleased with the results he had, though he knows he's still got some work to do to get his velocity and stamina up to regular-season standards.
"It's still one of those starts where your arm feels a little tired," he said. "You're working on stuff to get that arm strength. But otherRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- No DL yet, but Span bracing for possibility
- Nats lose as Reds rock Scherzer in rare poor outing
- How Scherzer decision could make another National an All-Star
- Span gets MRI; plus updates on Escobar and Zim
- Scherzer, Cueto face off as Nats take on Reds
- Fister still working out mechanical glitches
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds