Mar 23, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Gio Gonzalez allowed one run over six strong innings today.
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — With few regular position players making the trip, Bryce Harper scratched due to a swollen left thumb and a bunch of guys from minor league camp brought up for the day to fill out the roster, there wasn't quite the same intensity to the Nationals' 3-1 loss to the Mets today as there had been in other games earlier this week.
Which isn't to say there weren't still some interesting developments. Such as…
Gio Gonzalez looked sharp during his six-inning start and penultimate appearance of the spring. The left-hander allowed one run on four hits, struck out three, walked one and threw 85 pitches on a warm, 89-degree afternoon at Tradition Field.
Gonzalez was pleased with the results he had, though he knows he's still got some work to do to get his velocity and stamina up to regular-season standards.
"It's still one of those starts where your arm feels a little tired," he said. "You're working on stuff to get that arm strength. But otherRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals return home for 4-2 over Mets
- Span leaves Tuesday's game with possible injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff