Mar 24, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals made a pair of roster moves this afternoon, placing right-hander Christian Garcia on the 15-day disabled list with a strained forearm tendon and outrighting infielder Carlos Rivero to Class AAA Syracuse.
The Garcia DL move was anticipated because the right-hander had yet to appear in a Grapefruit League after injuring himself during early camp workouts, but the Rivero move did come as a bit of a surprise because it means the utilityman cleared waivers and was not claimed by another club.
Because he's out of options, Rivero was required to pass through waivers before being sent to the minor leagues. The Nationals talked up the utilityman this spring, and the sense was that another team would claim him if exposed. Instead, the Nationals get to keep Rivero in their system while also removing him from the 40-man roster.
Garcia had hopes of making the Opening Day roster out of the bullpen, or perhaps going to Syracuse to be a starter andRead more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- Nats sign veteran Janssen to bolster bullpen
- Nats roster preview: Ryan Zimmerman