Mar 24, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals made a pair of roster moves this afternoon, placing right-hander Christian Garcia on the 15-day disabled list with a strained forearm tendon and outrighting infielder Carlos Rivero to Class AAA Syracuse.
The Garcia DL move was anticipated because the right-hander had yet to appear in a Grapefruit League after injuring himself during early camp workouts, but the Rivero move did come as a bit of a surprise because it means the utilityman cleared waivers and was not claimed by another club.
Because he's out of options, Rivero was required to pass through waivers before being sent to the minor leagues. The Nationals talked up the utilityman this spring, and the sense was that another team would claim him if exposed. Instead, the Nationals get to keep Rivero in their system while also removing him from the 40-man roster.
Garcia had hopes of making the Opening Day roster out of the bullpen, or perhaps going to Syracuse to be a starter andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East
- Nats lose to Arizona, fall out of first place
- Strasburg strong in 2nd rehab start, next stop D.C.?
- Papelbon offers advice on pennant race pressure
- Updated: Good news for Carpenter, Span close to live BP
- Nats return home hoping to get back on track vs. D'Backs
- After sweep, Vegas sees Nats and Mets trending in different directions
- Postponement gives Nats new home finale