Mar 24, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Chris Young tossed five scoreless innings on Wednesday.
VIERA, Fla. — Chris Young will make his scheduled start tomorrow night against the Astros before deciding whether to opt out of his minor-league contract with the Nationals and sign with another club.
The Nationals must decide today whether to add Young to their 25-man roster, and they don’t intend to unless one of their five starting pitchers gets hurt. Young then has until the end of the day tomorrow to either opt out or stay with the Nationals and agree to open the year at Class AAA Syracuse.
Though the veteran right-hander wouldn’t get into specifics this morning, he strongly indicated he’s got offers to pitch for major-league teams, which would prompt him to opt out.
“I’m not going to get into the details of it, but there’s opportunities,” he said. “I’m just trying to decide what the best fit is, in a lot of different ways. There’s just so many considerations. I can’t get into every hypothetical. Once I have all the information, I’ll evaluate and see.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate