Mar 24, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Chris Young tossed five scoreless innings on Wednesday.
VIERA, Fla. — Chris Young will make his scheduled start tomorrow night against the Astros before deciding whether to opt out of his minor-league contract with the Nationals and sign with another club.
The Nationals must decide today whether to add Young to their 25-man roster, and they don’t intend to unless one of their five starting pitchers gets hurt. Young then has until the end of the day tomorrow to either opt out or stay with the Nationals and agree to open the year at Class AAA Syracuse.
Though the veteran right-hander wouldn’t get into specifics this morning, he strongly indicated he’s got offers to pitch for major-league teams, which would prompt him to opt out.
“I’m not going to get into the details of it, but there’s opportunities,” he said. “I’m just trying to decide what the best fit is, in a lot of different ways. There’s just so many considerations. I can’t get into every hypothetical. Once I have all the information, I’ll evaluate and see.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes