Mar 26, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
USA Today Sports Images
Bryce Harper connects for one of his two hits this afternoon.
JUPITER, Fla. — You wouldn’t know it based on the results he’s had at the plate, but Bryce Harper continues to be bothered by a swollen left thumb and may need to take the last couple days of spring training off to ensure he’s completely healed in time for Opening Day.
The Nationals’ second-year outfielder initially hurt himself on Friday when he was jammed by a pitch from Tigers left-hander Drew Smyly. He was held out of the following day’s game but returned strong on Sunday and has been on a tear ever since.
Harper’s third-inning RBI single to right field this afternoon against the Marlins was his ninth consecutive hit, raising his Grapefruit League batting average to a hefty .476. Turns out he got jammed again on that hit, though, and had to consider not coming up to bat again two innings later.
“He got jammed a little bit,” manager Davey Johnson said. “I might have to give him a couple days off, I don’t know. Usually those are just kind of nagging injuries … but if it gets real bad, you give him a little cortisone in there and that quiets it down. But I don’t know if it’s that bad.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense