Young opts out, still hopes to stay

Mar 26, 2013, 1:11 AM EDT

Associated Press
Chris Young allowed one unearned run in four innings tonight.

Updated at 10:25 p.m.

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Chris Young filed paperwork today to opt out of his minor-league contract with the Nationals, but the veteran right-hander said he’s still hopeful something could be worked out to keep him in the organization.

Young, who started tonight against the Astros and allowed one unearned run over four strong innings, will return to Viera after the game and wait to learn tomorrow whether the Nationals will put him on their Opening Day roster. He knows that’s not going to happen, barring a last-minute injury, but he’s been in talks with them about finding another way to remain with the organization.

“I’m realistic. I know the roster’s full,” he said outside the clubhouse at Osceola County Stadium. “I understand that. We’ve talked about maybe trying to work something out to where I can stay. We’re not there right now. But there’s interest from other clubs. I just have to weigh all the options and see what’s best for me and my family and my career.”

1. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:30 AM

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:32 AM

"finding another way" aka long-man in the bullpen.Stammen more effective an inning at a time.

3. Doc - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:41 AM

So, he wants to replace Duke?

4. Drew - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:36 AM

It would be great to keep Young by giving him a new opt-out date, but I imagine he'll get a major league deal.P.S. Not all old friends kept jobs. The Rockies released Miss Iowa.

5. SCNatsFan - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:46 AM

For the same money would you rather be a starter on the Astros or long man for the Nats? Don't know if there is a correct decision there.

6. sjm308 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Young has never pitched out of the bullpen. The difference between pitching in the minors and pitching in the majors, no matter what team, is huge. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think he stays because of our winning reputation. He might stay because Rizzo worked some sort of magic with the deal but nothing else.If it was a decision between starting with another team and coming out of our pen, that might be tough but again, Young has never done anything but start.

7. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:39 AM

You never carry your own luggage in The Show. The ballparks are like cathedrals. They hit white balls for batting practice! And the women all have long legs and brains.

8. Drew - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:47 AM

… the 21 greatest days of my life.

9. Positively Half St. - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Really, Drew? Or are you quoting some baseball movie?

10. Joe Seamhead - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I was wondering the same thing when I read Drew's post, 1/2 St.

11. Another_Sam - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

308, Sofa – right on. There's no hometown discount at play here either. Open in Vegas or headline in Upper Marlboro? Easy call and I wish him great success. In all situations except one. I like him too but I know what's going on here.

12. baseballswami - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM

SOME baseball movie? THE greatest baseball movie of all times! Thanks for starting my day with some Crash Davis.

13. natsfan1a - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Sigh. Bull Durham.

14. natsfan1a - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

(Is your viewing assignment. There will be a quiz later. :-))

15. Tcostant - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I think there is more to this, if he had a major league job he would be gone. I noted last week that Young noted he can leave for any (minors or bigs) and might be deciding between a minor league job with a better chance to move up vs. Natsi minor offer (I assume the talking is about am opt out date in May).

16. sjm308 - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Is there a "dress code" when we watch?? I got rid of my Nuke outfit years ago.

17. natsfan1a - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for the morning laugh, sjm. :-)

18. Candide - Mar 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Manager: "You lollygag in and out of the dugout! What does that make you? Larry!!!"Larry: " Guys who gag lollies!"No, wait, that ain't it…

19. phil dunton - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Sadly, the roster spot Young can't have will probably go to Henry Rodriguez!

20. sm13 - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM

We should give Chris Young a parting gift : "candlesticks are always appropriate"

21. Rabbit34 - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Our bullpen will need help. Stammen sure didn't look good and Storen is a head case.

22. Mac - Mar 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Apparently even though you never carry your own luggage in The Show, you do have to pack it yourself. Ask Denard Span about that.

23. MJR - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Thanks, Candide! Love me some Kevin Costner in the morning. Mmmmmm…