Two cuts today, Romero going north

Mar 27, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT

Associated Press
GM Mike Rizzo talks on the phone before today’s game against the Braves.

VIERA, Fla. — The Nationals made another round of cuts following today’s 11-2 win over the Braves, sending left-hander Fernando Abad and catcher Carlos Maldonado to minor-league camp.

Manager Davey Johnson said he’ll send two more players down after tomorrow’s Grapefruit League finale: outfielder Micah Owings and infidler Carlos Rivero (who has already been outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse but has remained in big-league camp).

That will leave only 26 active players on the roster when camp breaks tomorrow evening and the team flies north to Washington. And on that flight will be J.C. Romero, who still has a chance to crack the Opening Day bullpen over Henry Rodriguez.

Johnson approached Romero in the clubhouse after today’s game and clued the veteran left-hander in on his travel plans without revealing the ultimate answer: where he’ll be come Opening Day.

1. Drew - Mar 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

That's encouraging news about Romero.At this point, expecting Henry to improve is like saying:"With a bit more prep, John Rocker will be a dandy U.N. ambassador."

2. Section 222 - Mar 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I wouldn't want to be Henry walking in from the bullpen on Friday. Yikes.

3. Section 222 - Mar 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

If I were a Yankee facing H-Rod on Friday, I'd be hacking at that first pitch because he is going to groove it at a hittable velocity.

4. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Tick tock……..

5. JayB - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

222 if he could groove one he would but HROD is about the worst pitcher I have ever seen. He looks scared and his coping mechanism is to look board. He is NOT a MLB pitcher now or ever. The only reason he is here is Rizzo is too stubborn to admit he got taken by Billy Bean.

6. Candide - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

While we wait for tomorrow's game…Mark evidently gets regular tweets from people asking if he's related to (or actually IS) the guy who invented Facebook. He's had a couple of snappy answers:"Yes, people with different last names are usually related.""Yes, I just cover the Nats on the side for fun."How about we help him out? Give him a database of smartass answers he can use (but not so smartass he'll get in trouble with CSN)?I'll start:"Yes, when the IPO tanked, I found out I needed a second job.""No, that's my other brother Mark."Can we put them on NIDO?

7. realdealnats - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM

222–I wouldn't want to be Henry walking in from the bullpen on Friday. Yikes. It's the old joke but I really wouldn't want to be the Yankee in the batter's box this particular evening. And I hope Henry goes to the DL and miraculously turns his head around before returning (but not like in the Exorcist b/c then he'd be really scary).

8. slidell2 - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Wonder if Henry and J.C. will be seatmates on the flight up?

9. SCNatsFan - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Rizzo is praying some GM calls him and offers up anyone for HRod

10. Rabbit34 - Mar 27, 2013 at 10:47 PM

AS much as I would have liked to see Werth elsewhere, I must say the Werthless one is making me a believer….finally. Yea, I've been noticing how he is so able to go down after a pitch..IN THE CLUTCH!. Keep it up. Nothing I'd like better than to see him have a great season. Mostly, keep those strikeouts down. Zimmerman only struck out once in four at bats, and look what he did when he hit the ball..THREE TIMES!!! And Espi, putting the bat on the ball. I'm sleeping better.

11. peric - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Davey wants a lefty in the back end of the bullpen he can trust. Its why they acquired Romero since Fernando Abad and Bill Bray didn't meet the requirement.Rizzo doesn't want to lose HRod at least not withoutgetting anything back for him … noting that just today the Angels acquired former Nat rule 5 pick Elvin Ramirez for cash considerations from the Mets. There will definitely be interest in HRod out there. I knew Davey would find a way to get another lefty. He can be pretty predictable if you listen to what he says.

12. peric - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM

AS much as I would have liked to see Werth elsewhere, I must say the Werthless one is making me a believer….finallyI was thinking along those line until Davey put him at leadoff in front of Harper. Werth in front of Harper helps both players gi-normously. That was abundantly clear at the end of last season. And why Mr. Span had better produce right up front because I strongly suspect Davey might prefer the Magnolia Muscle in the lineup to a banjo bat, left-handed or not.

13. peric - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM

And if they can't trade HRod he will go on the DL … again.

14. Theophilus T. S. - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Peric is most of the way there. Romero going north (when he doesn't have to) means they want him in the dugout on Monday. Rodriguez will be either traded (I hope) or DLed. Romero isn't coming just to pad his frequent flyer account.

15. SCNatsFan - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I agree Peric. Henry throws against NY and his wildness is caused by elbow pain which will get him a rehab assignment.

16. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Just curiously, where are all the "Micah Owings is making the team" people?

17. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I could tell you how this shakes out but the knowledgeable people (meaning those on the ground here in Viera) already know.

18. peric - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Just curiously, where are all the "Micah Owings is making the team" people?Over Tyler Moore? They must be dreaming. Davey loves Moore If not he would have already been optioned to Syracuse to work on fielding in the outfield. Its reaching but it'll be interesting to see who has more extra bases and homers at the end of the season: Moore or Morse. If Moore wins that Rizzo (and Davey) look like cagey guys.

19. Drew - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Billy Beane: "He gets on base a lot. Do I care if it's a walk or a hit? Pete?"Peter Brand: "You do not."Billy Beane: "I do not."(Denard Span's on base percentage this spring is .348. — despite a .211 batting average. When he finds his stroke his OBA will only rise. This man will score a ton of runs.)

20. peric - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:42 PM

And Moore's PA's, ISO and home run total is not something anyone in Viera most especially any scout or cross checker is going to be able to predict. Only Davey knows … ~smiles~

21. peric - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM

(Denard Span's on base percentage this spring is .348. — despite a .211 batting average. When he finds his stroke his OBA will only rise. This man will score a ton of runs.)Do I want a guy in the line up who just might hit 40 home runs, and 40 doubles given 500 at bats? Or do I want a replaceable player with a banjo bat who might achieve a high OBP? Hmmm, given how much Davey wanted LaRoche backI can tell you what he would pick.

22. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I know EXACTLY what Davey would say to that . :-)

23. Drew - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Denard is less replaceable and more enbraceable than a lot of the 32 schmoes the Nats have trotted out to centerfield.

24. Mac - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:07 AM

"NatsJack in Florida said… Just curiously, where are all the "Micah Owings is making the team" people?"Saying that it's possible Micah Owings will make the team is different than saying Micah Owings is making the team. Just like saying you could possibly be a dick is different than saying you are a dick. Learn about semantics, dude.

25. NatsJack in Florida - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Everyone knows what Feel Wood is. No semantics necessary.

26. Scooter - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Awesome. Thanks to all of y'all for raising the level of discourse. You should be proud.

27. baseballswami - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Discourse? I thought it was trash talk.

28. Section 222 - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Boy am I glad I decided to check out this discussion. Yuck.Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I doubt there's a GM in baseball who would give anything to Rizzo for H-Rod at this point. Could his value be any lower than it is today? There are several who will be happy to have him for free (well, for taking over his salary), but that's about it. That's where he's headed unless Rizzo wants to DL him to see if after some more rehab he can figure things out.

29. baseballswami - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Is there one person on this blog that does not want to throw up when Henry comes in? And these games don't count. How can this team go forward with him? I am still predicting a mysterious DL stint.

30. SonnyG10 - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I guess the best 26 goes north this time :)

31. Scooter - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I'll drink to that, Sonny. Twice!swami, I actually don't want to hurl. I know it's crazy, but you gotta lose some games, right? Otherwise, it's just not fair to the other teams or the record books. Besides, it builds character.I do think I might choose to go get a dog, though.

32. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I feel for the guy, but I don't have much confidence in his command right now. I have a feeling Rizzo is getting tired of seeing him pitch. If Friday isn't aces I think maybe they cut him and move on.

33. natsfan1a - Mar 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM

What sec3 said.

34. baseballswami - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Amen. But even if he is good on one outing, we all know the next one could be awful. Zuke and Ray- mos need to go all Crash Davis on him.

35. UnkyD - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I was hoping against hope, but I guess if Henry is favored to make it, it'll be somewhere else. Hope it's in the AL….

36. UnkyD - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Fated. Fated to make it…(geeze….)