Instant Analysis: Yankees 4, Nats 2

Mar 29, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today
Yankees 4, Nationals 2
Game in a nutshell: Jordan Zimmermann had a tough day in his final tuneup for the regular season. He gave up a solo shot to Kevin Youkilis in the fourth inning, allowed a total of seven hits and finished with four earned runs on the day.
Hitting highlight: Bryce Harper had another hit, finally getting to Andy Pettite who baffled him in four hitless at-bats last summer. Desmond had the team's first RBI on a single up the middle to score Zimmerman. LaRoche also had an RBI in the sixth inning to send Zimmerman home.
Pitching lowlight: As this was an exhibition game, it's tough to read too much into anything really. Jordan Zimmermann, however, would probably have preferred a smoother last outing before the regular season. Zimmermann had trouble after a smooth first inning and was yanked in the fourth. He left with four earned runs, seven hits, and a walk on 69 pitches (49 strikes).

1. baseballswami - Mar 29, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Duke was fine, bullpen was outstanding, JZ will be fine. Lots of balls hit hard. If no one is hurt, we are good.

2. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Wilson Ramos is starting Opening Day!

3. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I guess the other news is Henry Rodriguez makes the Opening Day roster and Romero goes to AAA.

4. baseballswami - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Ghost– how long do you think HRod will last? Any posters up for a wager? Name the date he goes! It can be pseudo- DL, waivers, release. Pick a date- put it in writing here so we have documentation. I will have to consider my choice carefully. Definitely gone by the all- star break.

5. baseballswami - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM

About Ramos for opening day. That matches Suzuki up with Gio. Perfect.

6. MicheleS - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM

MJRMo got a standing ovation from the entire park

7. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:27 PM

baseballswami, I'm happy for Henry. He will get another chance and I will say it again, prove me wrong!

8. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM

MicheleS, can't wait to see Mo Rivera again in Nats Park. The Yankees/Nats World Series!

9. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM

baseballswami said… About Ramos for opening day. That matches Suzuki up with Gio. Perfect. March 29, 2013 5:17 PM I am very happy for Wilson Ramos. It is a smart move by Davey Johnson. It means so much to Wilson and he's the future of this team behind the plate.I predicted this back in February and is about the only prediction I seemed to get right during Spring Training. I was predicting a surprise move by Rizzo and Chris Young as the long-man in the bullpen. I went 1-3.

10. JayB - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Good game. Not sure I like letting runners steal without even a look or token throw. HROD will be HROD. Drew was also still nibbling from where I sat. Just throw strikes please.Ian D and Danny both looked great. Zimm is not able to throw across the diamond….I hope he gets stronger.

11. baseballswami - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

12. peric - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

If Henry plays his cards right it just might Drew Storen optioned to AAA with one of Romero, Abad, or Bray to choose from.Given today's announcement of the Harrisburg roster the competition for slots on the AAA roster must be extremely intense this season. As opposed to past years.Chris Rahl had two EL All Star appearances and has to be in their with the other outfielders. Owings and Van Ostrand must be in there with Perez, Brown et al. Costanza, Rivero and Rhymes knowing that Rendon is days away from joining … the Chiefs have way too many starters and relievers right now … but there's still 13 days to go to decide.

13. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

peric, how did you do on your predictions?Rendon on the Opening Day roster.Tyler Moore starting in LF and Span on bench.Drew Storen to AAARyan Z at 1st base

14. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Davey with comments on Espi: “He showed great improvement, and he started being more selective. He started being more direct to the ball from both sides [of the plate]. You’re going to see his on-base percentage go up.”Davey and Rizzo really stuck with Espi. They had opportunities to trade him and they didn't as they think he is a future star.I can only hope they are correct.

15. Theophilus T. S. - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Not ready to be a pessimist but they looked a lot like the 2009-10 Nats today. I certainly hope their starting pitchers know where the "on" button is because this isn't a team that can score six runs every day to bail them out.

16. EmDash - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I can't see Drew going anywhere unless he really, really struggles. If Rizzo et al change their minds and decide they need another lefty and everyone's doing well, Mattheus as the least established and with options left (I believe?) is probably the odd man out. But barring a surprise trade, injuries or poor performance, the bullpen is seems pretty set for the start of the season.

17. baseballswami - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM

They have given Henry miles of rope. Can't see them doing less with Drew. And Mattheus had been filthy! I just keep holding my breath and hoping no one tweaked anything today. Looked like most of them were playing it safe today.

18. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM

baseballswami said… Not saying I am not happy for Henry when he finds the strike zone. Just don 't trust it. Feel like Charlie Brown with the football. March 29, 2013 5:53 PM I'm a "show me" type of guy. I want consistency. I don't believe players change quickly.5 players came to ST with a lot to prove.1) Ramos healthy2) RZim healthy3) Storen could rebound from Game 54) Espi healthy & showing a compact LH swing5) HRod healthy & being consistent in the K zone

19. baseballswami - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM

How are you scoring those five, Ghost?

20. peric - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Rendon on the Opening Day roster.Tyler Moore starting in LF and Span on bench.Drew Storen to AAARyan Z at 1st baseWell ghost better than you ON pretty much ALL of yours far right?I never said Rendon would be on the opening day roster but I did say and I stand by this: Rendon will replace Zimmerman at third eventually. What I did say was that if Zimmerman went down with an injury they sure as heck weren't going to call Tracy in for duty. And if you believe that you are the fool dude.Rendon won't last long in AA he was having as good a spring as Harper. He'll be in AAA, because he'll need the challenge, before you know it. And then what?I didn't say Tyler Moore would "start" out the gate. But he will eventually count on it. IN order to keep up with ATL they will need his bat. He is the Nat's answer to Heyward. Harper and Werth to the Upton brothers. Span just doesn't fit. And when this comes to pass? I'll be here to chortle and give you grief until you'll just have to take a powder for a very looooong time.

21. peric - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

How are you scoring those five, Ghost?You mean his 5 exaggerations?Every dog has his day and I will have mine just as I did with Lannan and with Morse … and when that day comes … beware!

22. peric - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Drew Storen to AAAAnd this could still happen … if he keeps having problems … he looks not unlike Henry right now.

23. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Baseballswami1. Yes, amazing!2. Close to 80% with his throwing & hitting 110%3. Not sure4. So far so good. Very impressed so far. I want to be a believer & as his biggest critic I want him to succeed5. Not a fan except for a handful of appearances in his 2 years & would have never traded for him on my team but since he is a Nat I am hoping he can be a huge success on the Nats!

24. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Peric, OK, I guess we will see.

25. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Will you PLEASE quit poking, or at least get a room?

26. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM

“Henry only started getting wild last year, I’m sure the elbow was bothering him with the bone chip in there.”Was Davey watching Henry in 2011 when he led the Majors in Wild Pitches?

27. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM

28. Ghost Of Steve M. - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Sec3, did you say a George Carlin word?

29. peric - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Of course Ghost could have dinged me on the one thing I was wrong about as far as opening day but of course? He didn't.I thought for sure Davey would find a way to get a left-handed relief specialist in the back of his bullpen by opening day …As many of the beat writers have said that might still happen. But I would have expected it sooner rather than later given how much Davey prefers a fast start.

30. MurrayTheRed - Mar 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Zimmermann's fastball looked flat to me, little life on the ball. It's just one inning I'm sure he'll come around.

31. mike - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Long time reader, first time commenterThe thing that worries me about HRod is that his problems seem more psychological than physical. I don't know if there is ever going to be a fix for it. He's such a great talent when he's on his game….I wish we could figure out a way. Yoga? Xanax? It reminds me of watching Wohlers when I was a kid. I'm worried he's going to kill someone.

32. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Oooh, Mark Wohlers! Good catch, Mike.

33. Sec. 3, My Sofa - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM

@GoSM, no, none of the Seven Words, but my previous post seemed to disappear. Psyched me.

34. Dave - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM

When HRod walked a batter today, it was after he already got a couple strikes on the guy. Then he got the next guy to ground out to end the inning. (As I recall. I didn't writing anything in the scorebook today.) In other words, he didn't freak out after issuing a walk.His outing made me feel better, but I will be holding my breath as well every time he comes out to pitch.

35. Steve Hayes - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Keeping Hrod: MistakeStarting Stras over Gio in opener: insultSpan: no power, not enough speed, too low obp, now we see No arm either — massive mistakeRamos over Suzuki in opener: terrible insult to Suzuki.Not trying to keep Burnett: stupidZack Duke only lefty in bullpen: really stupidDumping Morse for minor leaguers: Pure IdiocyThis is not going to be your magical year. How long til we hear of grumbling from clubhouse? This team will be lucky to win 88 games.

36. Steve Hayes - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I Love this: In my ESPN Fantasy League for Serious Players.Span owned by 9% of leagueMorse owned by 100%enough said

37. Steve Hayes - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Peric has the right idea.Haren will be gone by all star gameSpan will be on the bench: no bat, no arm, no nothing.We haven't had a weak arm in center in two years — well we do now!Morse should have played 1b or outfield – Laroche allowed to walkRendon at third –

38. Joe Seamhead - Mar 30, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Fantasy baseball is not what the Nationals are playing. That's for people that are legendary GM's in their own minds.There has more stupidly expressed on here today then I have seen in a year.

39. Ivan Tuski - Mar 30, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Wow all these negatrons have been hiding for spring training. Too bad they came out.

40. Whack-a-Mule - Mar 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

In Re: J-Zim's pitching difficulties -Referring back to my scorebook, of the 7 hits J-Zim allowed, only one (first-pitch double to Wells in the ill-fated 4th) came WITHOUT 2 STRIKES in the count. 3 hits were at 2-2, the other 3 at 0-2,0-1 and 1-2. Pitch selection with a 2-strike count would appear to be an issue. This is most often a catcher issue ( 'tho it wasn't Ramos who hung the 0-2 curve to Cano in the 1st inning :-). Perhaps there is a rust factor at work.